Palau Liveaboard in May

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

aoo

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
My wife, myself and another couple are planning a dive trip to Palau next year. Based on all of my readings here on Scubaboard, it seems that it is best to do a liveaboard as much as possible when going to Palau. So I am looking at the Ocean Hunter III liveaboard cause they have the schedule that we need and look like a very nice liveaboard.

I have read in another thread that the best weather in Palau is between February to April. Unfortunately, due to schedule constraints, we can only go to Palau in May.

I was hoping that someone could give me an idea of what kind of weather we can expect in May. I am hoping that since it isn't too much beyond April that the weather will still be good.

Thanks in advance for your help.

My wife, myself and another couple are planning a dive trip to Palau next year. Based on all of my readings here on Scubaboard, it seems that it is best to do a liveaboard as much as possible when going to Palau. So I am looking at the Ocean Hunter III liveaboard cause they have the schedule that we need and look like a very nice liveaboard.

I have read in another thread that the best weather in Palau is between February to April. Unfortunately, due to schedule constraints, we can only go to Palau in May.

I was hoping that someone could give me an idea of what kind of weather we can expect in May. I am hoping that since it isn't too much beyond April that the weather will still be good.

Thanks in advance for your help.

weather in Palau does not vary all that much. Daytime temps are always high 80s, water temp always low 80s. The only time of year to be a little concerned about is Aug-Sept as it is the "rainy" season, which only means it rains more that normal. In Palau, it rains some almost every day. The reason people say Jan-Apr is best time to go has to do with the sharks schooling during Jan-Feb timeframe (mating season) and then I think Mar-Apr is manta mating season.

The liveaboards in Palau are definitely the way to go! You will be at the best dive sites each day without the long 2hr boat rides each way. You can get in 4 dives during the day in the same time that the land-based ops can only get in 2. This is great because some times you go to a dive site and it is great, but then you go back again another day and it is beyond amazing! (currents, tides, moon, and weather affect the sites in Palau dramatically) We did Blue Corner 3 times and it was different each time. German Channel we did 2 times and had mantas both days. It is one of my favorite dives now!

If you haven't seen my trip report posted here on Scubaboard, it is here: Palau on the Eco Explorer - Dec 2007

robin:D

weather in Palau does not vary all that much. Daytime temps are always high 80s, water temp always low 80s. The only time of year to be a little concerned about is Aug-Sept as it is the "rainy" season, which only means it rains more that normal. In Palau, it rains some almost every day. The reason people say Jan-Apr is best time to go has to do with the sharks schooling during Jan-Feb timeframe (mating season) and then I think Mar-Apr is manta mating season.

The liveaboards in Palau are definitely the way to go! You will be at the best dive sites each day without the long 2hr boat rides each way. You can get in 4 dives during the day in the same time that the land-based ops can only get in 2. This is great because some times you go to a dive site and it is great, but then you go back again another day and it is beyond amazing! (currents, tides, moon, and weather affect the sites in Palau dramatically) We did Blue Corner 3 times and it was different each time. German Channel we did 2 times and had mantas both days. It is one of my favorite dives now!

If you haven't seen my trip report posted here on Scubaboard, it is here: Palau on the Eco Explorer - Dec 2007

Hi Robin,

Thanks for the feedback that we will not have to worry about the weather in May and the confirmation that liveaboards are the way to go in Palau. I imagine that although we will miss the window of Jan-March for either the sharks schooling or the manta's mating, from what I have read here in Scubaboard, we will still have more than enough sightings of sharks. I hope that this will be the case.

We are doing our first liveboard this May to Tubbataha Reef here in the Philippines and are so excited. Since we have started diving somewhat late (we are in our mid to late forties and just got certified last year), we sometimes feel that we have to hurry up and see everything there is to see. Palau is on the top of our list.

And yes, I have read your trip report before. It was one of the reasons why I started seriously looking into Palau. The pictures of all the sharks really got me excited.

yes, you will see sharks in Palau no matter what time of year! :D
Also, the reefs in Palau are covered in life, very very healthy, so regardless of time of year, you will love the diving. I was absolutely amazed at the fishlife in general.

From what we have heard, the diving at Tubbataha is fabulous, so be sure to do a trip report for us. We want to hear all about the liveaboard and diving, fishlife, etc. :D

And don't worry about the "getting a late start" with diving. My hubby and I didn't start until about the same age. I think you will find that most divers, especially liveaboard divers, are in the late 30s-40s-50s age group. :D My husband is an instructor here now and most of his students tend to be in that age range as they are the only people who can afford our hobby! :eyebrow:

Have a great trip to the Philippines and be sure to do a Trip Report and take lots of pictures to share!

We went out on the Ocean Hunter II and had a great time, will go back someday. There is a trip report, slide show and galleries at our website.

Hi. Very nice trip report and pics. I have actually seen your trip report before and, again, it is one of the reasons why I have been considering Palau.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom