Palau trip report and pictures

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Erwin Poliakoff

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
1000 - 2499
My wife and I just returned from our first trip to Palau, where we went for a 10 day trip on the Ocean Hunter 3 liveaboard. We had a very good time, and the diving was good, but we really prefer the prettier reefs in Indonesia, the Philippines, and Fiji. We are glad the we went to try it, and it was a lot of fun. We started out after the air travel with 3 days at the Palau Pacific Resort. It was a nice resort, but on the expensive side for what it was. I did not really sample much of it, though, as I got sick on the flight over. I was not impressed with the main restaurant, as the food was pretty bland. Pickup by the boat was handled well. There were only ten of us diving on the boat, so it was not crowded at all. The dive operation and the crew on the boat (including the kitchen staff) were very good. We were satisfied with all of the main aspects of the liveaboard operation. The layout of the boat has one or two minor quirks, but nothing major to complain about. The lounge is separated from the dining area, and as a result, the guests rarely take advantage of the lounge (which was very nice). The other minor criticism is that the legs for the tables in the dining area are poorly positioned, making it very difficult to get in and out of your seat. The food and operation of the liveaboard were very good, though.

The diving was good, although the conditions were not great while we were on the boat. The water temperature was usually 80-82F (27-28C), but the currents were strange, and there was some VERY cold thermoclines, resulting in water temperatures as low as 69F (21C). Also, the water visibility was mediocre at best, with typical vis in the 50 ft range. People on the boat who had been to Palau previously said that these conditions were atypical; normally, visibility is over 100 ft, and the water temperature is typically 82F and pretty constant.

The dives featured lots of sharks, turtles, bumphead parrotfish, napoleon wrasse, and jacks. We also saw a good number of manta rays, particular at sites around the German Channel. The reefs were pretty healthy, but there was not much in the way of pretty and colorful soft corals, and this was a major drawback for me. Again, this is a matter of personal taste. Here are a few pictures to give a sense of what the diving was like.

33159982768_d7a1a0d1d5_c.jpg
31_DSC_0021-2 colorful shipwreck in palau by Erwin Poliakoff, on Flickr

46969959252_c7d4f6140e_c.jpg
21_DSC_0317 Napoleon wrasse by Erwin Poliakoff, on Flickr

40066738693_177eb2f951_c.jpg
27_DSC_0459 by Erwin Poliakoff, on Flickr

33128932728_70bbd6a244_c.jpg
08_DSC_0126-2 cabbage coral by Erwin Poliakoff, on Flickr

46088804225_f723df5c94_c.jpg
03_DSC_0208 manta ray by Erwin Poliakoff, on Flickr

47004411381_4841861730_c.jpg
07_DSC_0598 by Erwin Poliakoff, on Flickr

46088802855_3edd112e0d_c.jpg
05_DSC_0089 (2) by Erwin Poliakoff, on Flickr

40061421733_96db1fe87f_c.jpg
25_DSC_0505 by Erwin Poliakoff, on Flickr

32056887947_8cbba817c9_c.jpg
01_DSC_0266 by Erwin Poliakoff, on Flickr

and the whole photo album can be found here: Palau 2019 photo album

Were you able to do any of the hook-in dives at the high current spots? We never got to dive Peleliu when I was there, but I liked the Blue Corner.

Were you able to do any of the hook-in dives at the high current spots? We never got to dive Peleliu when I was there, but I liked the Blue Corner.

Yes, several of the dives were hook-in dives. These were always shark dives. They were quite nice, but ones that I liked the most were the manta dives.

Did you have a chance to visit Jellyfish lake? If so, how is the jellyfish population doing?

Did you have a chance to visit Jellyfish lake? If so, how is the jellyfish population doing?

We did not go to Jellyfish Lake, although most of the guests on the boat did. The people who had been there before said that the jellyfish population was down from their previous visits (more than 5 years ago), but the guides indicated that it was coming back.

Thanks for sharing! My husband and I be on the Ocean Hunter 3 in a few weeks. Do you recall what cell service was like on the boat? Unfortunately, I’ll have to remain accessible by email for work (if possible). I understand that the boat is rarely too far from the main island.

Thanks for sharing! My husband and I be on the Ocean Hunter 3 in a few weeks. Do you recall what cell service was like on the boat? Unfortunately, I’ll have to remain accessible by email for work (if possible). I understand that the boat is rarely too far from the main island.

Sorry, but I cannot help you with this. I do not use my phone while traveling. I would guess that you could email the liveaboard operation to get more information.
-Erwin

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom