Palau trip report

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

jake11

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
1000 - 2499
We just returned from a great trip to Palau! We ended up going land based and used Sam's Tours as the dive operation. We stayed the first week at Palau Pacific Resort. All of us LOVED this resort! It was EXCELLENT from A to Z. The grounds are beautiful, the beach is fantastic and the people were marvelous! They have a great hot tub, pool and awesome covered loungers on the beach. The snorkeling is fantastic as well. We saw a juv. bat fish, sweet lips, white tip shark, and tons of giant clams in every color. It is well worth it to snorkel there. A good tip is to eat at the pool bar every night instead of the restaurant. The food was fabulous and a lot cheaper than the restaurant. Try the Asian chicken salad, the pizzas or anything on the menu. It was all good! We spent the second week at Sea Passions. On the positive side, it was nice to be so close to Sams and to have breakfast included but it was definitely a huge step down from PPR. They were very nice but there is just no comparison to PPR. We checked out Palau Royal Resort while we were there and decided that is the place to stay next time. We saw the deluxe rooms and they are very nice. This is a great alternative to PPR and a lot cheaper. We ate at the Drop Off almost every night while staying at Sea Passions. The food was all good and we were in agreemnet that they had the best burgers that we have ever tasted. HUGE! As for the diving.... some of our favorite dives were Siaez corner where we saw about 85-100 grey sharks on the second day. Great fun hanging there and watching them swirl around us! We also loved Ulong Channel when it is running! The best dive there had a lot of sharks at the mouth of the channel and then a screaming ride to the end. There is some Massive lettuce leaf coral that is worth the ride to see with thousands of fish living in it! Of course we loved Blue Corner. We did this dive around 3x and it was fun every time. We had RIPPING current on 2 of the dives and they were the most fun. On the last dive there we could have reached out and touched a lot of the sharks because they were that close. There was also a huge school of barracuda hanging out in front of us and the resident Napolean wrasse swimming by! New drop off was a good dive as well. On the last day we went to Peleliu and had an amazing dive on Peleliu Cut. There were a lot of sharks , barracudas and a GIANT school of bumpheads that just kept on coming! We did the land tour at the end of the day and enjoyed that too. It is very sad. The surface intervals are at various beautiful beaches, one more gorgeous than the last! Very nice. When we first got to Sams it kind of seemed hectic and chaotic . If you are used to anyone taking care of your gear and changing out your tanks in between dives then don't go there. You have to haul your gear down to the boat each day and then haul it back after you are finished. We got used to this after a couple of days. They take care of you and listen to your suggestions and requests. We asked for the same dive guide for the whole time and got him. His name was Marc C. and he is a very smart guy! He knows a lot about marine life and tides etc. We appreciated his attention to safety and his keen eye. We also liked Shirley, Ali, Steve and Jodi. Steve and Jodi were interns for getting their dive master certs. They were wonderful. I also suggest you jump in after your boat dives and dive Sam's wall. We saw a ton of stuff! Lots of mandarin fish, juv. spotted sweet lips, sea snake, nudis, crabs, eels, catfish, giant clams, pajama cardinal fish, etc etc. The last day Sam's arranged a car for us and we went around the whole Island. We went to the waterfall on our own and I would suggest you do that because they were charging $150pp to take the tour there and we rented the car for $50 for 4 of us(total). We went to Palau because of the smoking deal on airfare ($747 Roundtrip) on Korean airlines. Korean Airlines was awesome. Great service and a fairly easy trip. I also have to mention that we saw the elusive ornate eagle ray. Our dive guide had never seen one before so we felt very fortunate. We saw it at the end of a German Channel dive on our safety stop at 15' , 57 minutes into the dive! Very cool! Have a great time if you go !

nice! I agree that Sea Passions isn't the best for luxury but it was clean and the breakfasts were good.

Ali, British girl about 24 years old? she was starting out when I went.

nice! I agree that Sea Passions isn't the best for luxury but it was clean and the breakfasts were good.

Ali, British girl about 24 years old? she was starting out when I went.

Yes!! That is the one! She was great and had some great eyes! We should have done the reverse..PPR second after Sea Passions but Sea Passions was fully booked. I agree..the breakfast was good!

In case you have never seen an ornate eagle ray here is a photo courtesy of ...
ornate_eagle_ray[1].jpgPhoto Courtesy of Shane Down​

Excellent report! Marc & Kostas are my favorite dive guides at SamsTours (although Kostas will make you work hard actively finning around to always find the Mantas at German Channel --no kneeling in the sand and passively waiting for a chance encounter).

Palau Pacific Resort is the best of the five star resorts --more secluded and the better beach & house reef for snorkeling/discover scuba dives as described above-- but Palau Royal Resort has the more convenient walking distance to SamsTours/Neco Marine Dive-ops and the eateries in Malakal (Kramer's) or further across the bridge causeway into Koror town.

My favorite dive spot is Ulong Channel (strong incoming tide & current) for the overall variety of fish/marine life, shark & pelagic action and the abundant colorful hard coral everywhere.

Palau is where my annual relaxed, recreational and "fun" tropical diving begins, after a week or more of tech wreck deco and exploration diving in Chuuk Lagoon. . .

Last edited:
In case you have never seen an ornate eagle ray here is a photo courtesy of ...
View attachment 118875Photo Courtesy of Shane Down

we saw a pair of them which was somewhat of a consolation for not seeing manta's.

Ali was a good egg and lots of fun over after-diving beers. Did you meet Daniel?

I actually didn't mind the gear hauling... you certainly didn't need to haul tanks back up (but we did to help). I don't like people touching my gear anyway... divers or staff.

how did you like Peleliu? if i did my trip again i would have spent more time there and possibly stayed on the island 1 or 2 nights... It was a long trip out.

I did the best dive of my 50 years of diving last March at Ulong Gardens and Channel. The current started thru the channel half way into the dive and we got the best of both worlds.

We liked Peleliu and also thought about staying there for awhile. It was very small so your eating choices might be limited but I think it would be great because then you could do all of the good dives. We wanted to do Peleliu Express but could not get to it without going all the way around the Island to the other side. They said this might take an hour or hour and 1/2. The current was too strong to get around from the Cut. We ended up doing Peleliu Wall which was okay but not as good as the Cut.
we saw a pair of them which was somewhat of a consolation for not seeing manta's.

Ali was a good egg and lots of fun over after-diving beers. Did you meet Daniel?

I actually didn't mind the gear hauling... you certainly didn't need to haul tanks back up (but we did to help). I don't like people touching my gear anyway... divers or staff.

how did you like Peleliu? if i did my trip again i would have spent more time there and possibly stayed on the island 1 or 2 nights... It was a long trip out.

@Bracko...A pair of ornates! Super cool!! No.. I guess we did not meet Daniel???

I did the best dive of my 50 years of diving last March at Ulong Gardens and Channel. The current started thru the channel half way into the dive and we got the best of both worlds.
I'll second that, though my diving career is a bit shorter. Ulong Channel, March 14, 2008. We had a nice slow drift the entire way. Best dive ever.

Back
Top Bottom