Palau V Yap or Guam ?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

scubajunky17

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
HI All,
I have dove all over the world and will be visiting S Korea and Japan over July august. I want to dive somewhere reasonably close to Japan / Korea which offers world class diving. I have dove Palau twice , should I give Guam or Yap a go or just go back to Palau ?
Is Palau far superior in terms of diving and palegic action to the other places ? Where else should I consider in the region. I can't think of anywhere in the region which is better for palegics than palau.

Even as a UK Resident with Visa Waiver & ESTA privileges and convenience, it's not worth the headache going through the queue & roundabout Customs/TSA security areas of Won Pat International Airport, US Territory of Guam, for such mediocre diving (compared to Palau) --just bypass Guam from Japan or Korea, and fly straight into Koror instead. Yap is an interesting cultural diversion worth a couple of days, but you can see Mantas just as well at German Channel/Palau.

But by all means, avoid going through Guam coming from Korea or Japan; the only time you must go through Guam as a hub is if your destination -flying by United Airlines only- is the wrecks of Truk Lagoon (Chuuk, Federated States of Micronesia) or Bikini Atoll (via Kwajalein/Ebeye, Republic of the Marshall Islands).

So is Palau way better than Guam and Yap ? is there anywhere in the pacific better than Palau for Palaegic action ?

Whale sharks in Donsol Philippines; also Thresher Sharks in Malapascua:
Shark Diving on Malapascua Island

Good variety of pelagics and reef fish on the deep coral walls & clear waters at Tubbataha Reef (sharks, mantas, schooling tuna etc):
Tubbataha Reefs Natural Park - UNESCO World Heritage Centre
Tubbataha | Expedition Fleet Liveaboards: Scuba Diving Philippines

Humpback Whales in Tonga:
Humpback Whale Watching Expeditions in Tonga

Largest Toothed Predator, the Sperm Whale (and possible but improbable Giant Squid sighting as well?) in Chichijima/Ogasawara Islands Japan:
Scuba Diving Locations | Ogasawara | Bonin Islands | DiveAdvisor
http://www.wetpixel.com/articles/wetpixel-sperm-whale-expedition-update-2

Last edited:
Guam has the Toki Maru (WWII) and Comarant (WWI) wrecks laying next to each other in the inner harbor. Other than that Palau is much better diving and the Guam Airport sucks. Avoid if possible.

Thanks.
The only trouble is I have dived Palau twice before and ideally would like to try somewhere new. But It is right up there with the best in the region I think.
I have dove Malapascua - Awesome and done the humpback swimming in tonga which was stunning.
The Japan Whale swimming sounds good, is it swimming or just observing ? Tubattah ? is that considered some of the best diving in SEA ? not a patch on Palau surely ?
thanks for everyones help.

HI All,
I have dove all over the world and will be visiting S Korea and Japan over July august. I want to dive somewhere reasonably close to Japan / Korea which offers world class diving. I have dove Palau twice , should I give Guam or Yap a go or just go back to Palau ?
Is Palau far superior in terms of diving and palegic action to the other places ? Where else should I consider in the region. I can't think of anywhere in the region which is better for palegics than palau.

I have just left Palau....I wish I gone there 30 years ago. I met a few people, including a native of Yap,who works for FishnFins,a great operator and seemingly less expensive than Sam's with fewer divers per boat,who said that Yap is all fished out requiring long boat rides,if you can get them, to reefs remote from the island.
i understand that Guam is better but not great...I am stopping there on the way back to the US so will post when I have first hand knowledge if you can wait a month
good luck, take pictures,leave only bubbles

---------- Post added May 16th, 2014 at 01:45 AM ----------

I am currently in Philippines......tubattah is only open 3 months of the year due to its remoteness but comes highly recommended...there are some boats that take A LOT OF divers,so beware....try contacting Rick at Frontier diving,where I am now,he is from Greenwich, Kent originally and books (at the same price) the smaller live aboards and will clue you in to all the details

So is Palau way better than Guam and Yap ? is there anywhere in the pacific better than Palau for Palaegic action ?

I haven't been but based on others' reports I suspect Rangiroa and Fakirava are up there with Palau, if not better in terms of pelagics. Indonesia has pretty much the best reef diving in the world, though not hugely close to Japan (it's all relative though) and you need to go to very specific areas to see bigger fish. Komodo and Raja Ampat have Mantas and smaller sharks, Cenderawasih Bay has whale sharks, and there are large schools of hammerheads in the Banda Sea, but it's only really divable in the Spring/Autumn "shoulder" season between the Komodo and Raja Ampat seasons.

The Banda Sea sounds interesting is that the Banda Islands and would that be doable in August ?

Dude, what makes you think the Philippines (which is the closest to Japan & S Korea) isn't world class?

Anilao
Puerto Galerta
Palawan
Cebu
Bohol Panglao
Subic Bay

And 7000+ other islands that you can't name easily but where there is always a boat and guide available to $25 a day.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom