Palau's Sunscreen Ban

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Akimbo

Just a diver
Staff member
ScubaBoard Supporter
Reaction score
It took a while but I finally found the specific list of banned ingredients:
Palau to ban ten sun cream ingredients by 2020

It is unclear to me if these restrictions will extend to other products like liquid soap, shampoo, hair conditioner, or other personal care products. If so, this could change options highly-dilute suit-lube spray recipes used on wetsuits that are not lined.
  1. Oxybenzone (benzophenone-3)
  2. Octinoxate (octyl methoxycinnamate)
  3. Octocrylene
  4. Methyl-benzylidene camphor
  5. Triclosan
  6. Methyl paraben
  7. Ethyl paraben
  8. Butyl paraben
  9. Benzyl paraben
  10. Phenoxyethanol
There is a good chance that this restriction will spread to other tropical areas. Maybe Dano (@MAKO Spearguns) has more input?

Akimbo, I just stumbled upon your post. I remember that you use unlined suits in warm water.

You probably know about this, but just in case, there’s another product that you might consider for suit lube – J-Lube. This is veterinarian’s obstetrical lubricant. It's not something that is suitable for spraying. You buy it in powder form (light weight, a little goes a long way). 75% sugar, 25% Polyethylene Glycol (aka PEG).

PROs
  • It is very slippery.
  • It makes getting into a very tight suit really easy.
CONs
  • It is very slippery!
  • Unfortunately, if you get any on the deck (which is easy to do), It can be a real hazard. It makes me real nervous.
  • When I use this stuff, I’ll go out onto the boat’s swim-step while other folks are suiting up. I make sure I’ve got a mop close by – if there is no mop, I don't use the stuff. I get into my suit as fast as possible and then thoroughly mop the deck all around me. If I'm on a boat without a swim-step, I don't use this stuff, it's too risky.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom