Palos Verdes Dive Site; Halfway Reef

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I used to park right at the trailhead. Not many people use the trail so there is lots of parking.

Went over there today to look at the trail. Quite steep near the top... especially with gear on. Need to think about how badly I want to do this dive from shore.

When I was a new diver, my first wife and I used to make two dives per day there. We would wear an aluminum 80 on our back and carry a 72 by hand, leave them on the rocks and switch tanks for the second dive. We used to climb back up the trail to switch tanks but that got old very fast.

That trip down with the two tanks, did that include all of your other equipment such as weights, fins, suit, etc. or was that a separate trip?

All in one trip. My first wife, Marilyn was 5'3" and overweight. After our second dive one day I told her I would carry the tank on my back and both gear bags up the hill, then come back for the other tanks. By the time I huffed and puffed my way back from the car, she was already at the top of the cliff with three tanks. I was impressed!
The last time I dived from the beach there was just a free dive. Even with a lighter weight belt and no tank I was breathing pretty heavily by the time I got back up.

It looks worse than it is, though. There are some goat trails in P.V. that are tougher. Honeymoon Cove has a small section near the too that you have to sit and slide past. Flat Rock is a long trail, with one section barely wide enough for your feet. I was making a night dive there once when my weight belt slid down to my ankles, right at the narrow section. I had to pull it up without leaning sideways.

Haggerty's used to have a truck tire inner tube to lower yourself over the bottom section. Now there is some polypro line. In the late 90s someone constructed a very nice set of wooden steps down to the rocks on the south side of Malaga Cove. It only lasted a month or so until some idiot painted graffiti on it and the owner removed the stairs.

I used to climb the trails around Palos Verdes nearly every weekend, including the pipe near the Avalon and the Dominator hike at Lunada Bay. When I was feeling lazy I would head down to Laguna Beach for some easy sand diving.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom