Panasonic GF-1 in Seatool Housing

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I'll let you know when I am back in a couple weeks form a dive trip.

I have been reading your post on your new Seatool GF1 housing. Congratulation!

I know that you have not had a chance to get it wet but I have a question for you. The Seatool housing control for the thumbwheel (aperture, shutter speed or EV comp) how reliable is it. What I am trying to ask is does it reliably control the thumbwheel on the camera. I have access to a 10bar GF1 housing and it is a bit hit and miss if you can change, say the shutter speed without pushing too hard and clicking the thumbwheel in.

What can you tell me about the Seatool control?

After several days of use, I have found that the mode dial works very well and reliably. The control for the wheel on the back sometimes does not engage perfectly, meaning one "click" of the wheel on the housing does not always equal one click on the camera's wheel, but it is very close and perfectly satisfactory. I have had no problems changing aperture and shutter speed. If it were any tighter it would possibly cause problems at depth.

The wheel controls do not work on land, though. They are very precisely engineered to be reliable under the water without exerting too much pressure, which in turn means they do not engage properly when not under pressure. Buttons work on land.

So far I am very pleased with it.

does this mean that is hard to take pictures above water?
Are there any problems changing ports and installing the camera?
Is there good control on the shutter lever for half pressing to get focus?
Sorry for all the questions, but i want to get the right housing.

Cheers mark

Hey, JD, have you been able to take any video with the 7-14mm? I'd love to see some photos or video!

I hope to be able to post some comments and photos and maybe a brief video this weekend. My video skills are sorely lacking so the best I might be able to pull together is a very brief unedited clip. If it is too embarrassingly bad, I may not even do that.

Hi...I've just joined Scubaboard because of your thread on the Seatool for the GF1.

I'm trying to decide between the Seatool and the Inon. The latter will be available here in Adelaide, Australia in a couple of weeks (at the local UW Photo equipment store)...but no one here brings the Seatool in for sale. Hence my interest in your experiences with the Seatool. I'm mostly going to use it for the video, but it might be nice to get back into still photography again.

Looking forward to hearing how you find using it in the field.

By the way, if you are seriously into the video capabilities of the GF1...have you heard of the TESTER13 firmware hack that transforms the GF1 into a "mini Scarlet"!

Cheers

Hi
thanks for sharing .. I am considering the same setup ... was thinking of starting off with the 14-45 port. Would you happen to know if it is possible to fit the 45mm macro lens into this port ?

it seems possible with the 10bar housing
Be very careful of the build quality of the 10 Bar for the GF1. You have a flash port to connect a cable which is linked to the flash shoe, but the internals of the housing and the general build quality of the controls, sucks. I returned mine without getting it wet as very little functionality worked and within secs the shutter arm broke as you cant tighten it up effectivly as two grub screws are tring to hold on to a cylindrical post and the metal of the screws burrs on the post. Dont even go near the mode control or lens controls !!!!! spend more on the housing for this great camera.

Hey JD950,

Any luck uploading some pics anywhere? Would be great to see what this little camera can do underwater.

Thanks!

Sorry, I have been really busy with non-diving activities and have not been able to make time to download the pictures. I am still trying, though, and hope to get to it in a few days. Sorry again for the delay.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom