Panasonic Lumix DMC-TZ5

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Sas

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
500 - 999
Hi

I don't know anything much about cameras but my buddy is thinking of getting a Panasonic Lumix TZ5 (or TZ15 - depending on what country you are in) and a case for it. We were wondering if this is a decent camera for using underwater?

Here is a review on it: Panasonic Lumix DMC-TZ5 Review: 1. Introduction: Digital Photography Review
Unfortunately I don't know much about cameras to know what the specs mean. :(

If anybody has any comments about the specs or personal experiences with this camera would like to hear them. :)

Thanks in advance for any help.

Hi.
I have only used the TZ-5 for topside photography so far, and I expect to take it on a diving trip to the Maldives next October, I will post more information (and hopefully some good pictures) then.
What I can say so far is that it is a damn good point & shoot if compared to the ones I have used before: Fuji F31 and F50. Maybe a bit noisier but much sharper at low ISO, with no purple fringing nor highlight clipping. The display is huge and very sharp, and the AF is quite fast, which are pluses UW.
I think it should be fine for underwater use unless you plan to use it exclusively with a strobe, in which case the lack of manual aperture settings will be a big drawback. Also, it would be nice if it had RAW.

Yea have been using it for a few weeks now, seems really good (though I know nothing about cameras to really back that statement up!). Yes, my buddy has realised that with a strobe the lack of manual aperture settings will be a pain, as I heard him talking about it - but again I don't know what that means actually! :blush: He wants to get a strobe in time, especially for our night dives.

Here some examples of some of my (and my buddy's) pics with the camera if you want to see some u/w examples with it!
http://www.scubaboard.com/forums/3686859-post20.html
http://www.scubaboard.com/forums/3643201-post1.html

Thanks a lot for your comments on the camera, I will pass on to my buddy who understands more about this kind of thing :)

You are welcome. The Panasonic UW case ( Panasonic DMW-MCTZ5 ) is available on Amazon for around 230$, but prices should fall quickly.

Can anyone give an update on this camera and the housing combo for a newbie that wants to take some simple reef shots and maybe a video or two in Monterey or California's North Coast?

I like the potential for low light on the camera specs. Thanks for any advice.

Steve

I have the TZ3 (same but lower pixels) and I'm trying to decide on a strobe versus a saving for a better underwater camera. Now, let me say that I know nothing about this stuff. So I'm confused as to whether a strobe will even work with the TZ3.

Some people have mentioned the lack of manual aperture setting...suggesting that it prevents the use of a strobe. Can someone clear this up in "Strobes for Dummies" terms?

Thanks.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom