Panasonic Lumix DMC-ZS100/TZ100

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

similanaddict

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
Has anyone used this camera in an ikelite 6170.10 housing? How does it perform uw? Compared with Sony rx 100 ii or later?

You don’t mention if this is for photo or video. Speaking for video, this camera won’t perform very well under water due to its slow lens and how much the lens protrudes. At 25mm you may be ok at 2.8. The housing will limit the zoom also. I have the zs100 and was looking at getting it wet. After researching I picked up the LX10 for underwater. You’ll be investing a lot of money to get it wet, seems like a waste to do it on a camera that isn’t ideal underwater.

I'd be using it for both photo and movie, but main use would be photo. On paper I like it because it's a lot of camera in a compact body and I like to travel light, having an allround point and shoot thing with me. I Was also considering the lx10 or lx100, But Lx100 dates back to 2014 and if I can believe dpreviews the zs100 slightly outperforms the lx10. Have you ever compared the zs100 and lx10 above the surface?

Last edited:
I actually have both the lx10 and zs100 right now and use both. They are essentially the same camera with completely different lenses on them. LX10 for low light, and zs100 for the zoom range. If you need to zoom past 72mm, then the ZS100, if not very often, then the LX10 is a better choice. If you're like me and want both low light and telephoto, then you can get both:)

It really does make that much difference in low light? I would like the extended zoom range, but the camera is mainly meant for diving, so low light is important. Also cropfactor 1.5 in the LX10 when filming in 4K worries me. But you are probably right: no point in spending that money to a less than ideal solution.

Keep in mind, when you take the camera under water you will likely get a wet wide angle lens to compensate for refraction. My Inon UWL-h100 requires zooming to about 32-33 mm anyway to get rid of vignetting. The only other option for a compact 4K camera is the Sony RX100 and it struggles with any sort of white balance.

If it’s primarily for scuba, get the LX10, camera and housings are pretty much the same price.

Keep in mind, when you take the camera under water you will likely get a wet wide angle lens to compensate for refraction. My Inon UWL-h100 requires zooming to about 32-33 mm anyway to get rid of vignetting. The only other option for a compact 4K camera is the Sony RX100 and it struggles with any sort of white balance.

If it’s primarily for scuba, get the LX10, camera and housings are pretty much the same price.

Bought the LX10 this afternoon, looks gorgeous. What housing are you using? Ikelite or Nauticam? Any tips on this? Budgetwise I'd go for the Ikelite but looks a little plump.

Bought the LX10 this afternoon, looks gorgeous. What housing are you using? Ikelite or Nauticam? Any tips on this? Budgetwise I'd go for the Ikelite but looks a little plump.

I went Nauticam, I don’t think you’ll notice much difference in performance. The nauticam is smaller for sure.

Take a look at the LX10 thread for settings I (and others) use. I have a sample video up there too, as do others. My first real video with this (aside from test videos) will be next month (Galapagos and Costa Rica).

Back
Top Bottom