Panasonic Lumix TZ7/ZS3 with u/w case DMW-MCTZ7 HD VIDEO test results

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

wicked_innit

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
500 - 999
Managed to get the underwater casing (DMW-MCTZ7) from amazon japan at a decent price (22,500 YEN) .

First time try underwater with this baby and i am pretty wowed by the results. Set at underwater mode for photo and video (limited settings).
Note:i found iA works better than underwater mode for photos at night dives. Dont ask me why..

The settings were for video > AVCHD Lite at SH quality & Continuous Focus & WindCut filter "On" . Everything else was auto. There isn't much i can do manual except do quick menu > exposure compensation.

I found that focusing beyond 0.5m - infinity gave undesirable blurriness.I guess i zoomed to quickly ! Also , macro vid is best stuck to little or no zoom.

At 38.9m i did experience the menu toggle going nuts. i couldnt set a mode from underwater to iA and the u/w button didnt work. Once up to 18m it was ok. I am not sure if it is due its newness or needing a faster sdhc card. The buttons seemed quite pressable though.

Anyway, i managed to upload some example vids on youtube since it can take HD mts files. Press HD button on bottom corner if you are not set to "HD".
2 mins is 240MB ! i may try normal MOV at 720p to see there is any difference on my next dive trip but i hear AVCHD is sharper.

YouTube - 1. Panasonic Lumix TZ7/ZS3 HD Underwater Vid in AVCD Lite - Turtle at Sogod Bay, Phillipines

YouTube - 2. Panasonic Lumix TZ7/ZS3 HD Underwater Vid in AVCD Lite - Soft Coral at Sogod Bay, Phillipines

I am not sure if Panasonic Lumix know of have any issues with the underwater at depth...

Wow those videos look great! Wicked, do you mind posting some photos up that you took with this camera? I just got the ZS3 for personal use, I'm thinking about getting the underwater case.

Great video!!! I have the TZ5 and just bought the housing for it. I can't wait to give it a try.
Any pointers for a amatuer photog?

hi all,

thanks for your comments . I will soon post some photos too . Am trying to get my head around why the colours aren't as vivid in video mode though am sure will work it out one day. Also this link is extremely useful. It's most helpful for the focusing workaround .

Panasonic Lumix DMC-TZ7 / ZS3 video review: High Definition | Cameralabs

oh i posted another few vids on youtube: see first post edited..

i think i know why the software went nuts at depth..i was using a class 4 SDHC card instead of the recommended class 6 (ie min 10mb/s) . Will get a 16GB Transcend class6 see if it makes a difference

nice report and video.... i am also looking to get this DC...

how is the build in flash power? do you have strobe add on?

and how is the micro mode? are you able to take close up video with size like nudi or pygmy seahorse?

beautiful shots wicked.
the panasaonic lumix is my next camera. have you tried the continuous focus setting and was it of any help?
IMO the lumix is a better value than a canon.

im am also planning on diving sogod bay this june. could you post a trip report or link? i would be interested to know of the operators, dives sites, and other non diving activities in leyte

thanks

Back
Top Bottom