Panasonic LX-100 Review: An Underwater Shooter Goes Small

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I also shot the G7X and will write a short review soon. But I felt the LX100 IQ, lens and controls were much better. I have had a couple of people also shoot both cameras and newer users liked the G7X finding it very easy to use.

It seems to me these compact cameras requiring port changes to go WA or macro eliminates one of the biggest advantages for using compact cameras. If you have to commit to going macro or WA why not just use ICL camera? Is the performance and IQ of the LX100 that much better than RX100?

I also don't get people who buy ICL cameras, but then want wide angle wet lenses.

I also don't get people who buy ICL cameras, but then want wide angle wet lenses.

I think is more the case of people moving from compact that have a wet lens already and want to reuse it with the kit lens
Some wet lenses with a large diameter of the rear lens work well on some mid range zoom lenses
I use the Inon UWL-H100 on the Panasonic GX7 kit lens because it supports zoom through and I can use a push on filter.
The sharpness compares to the Olympus 9-18mm is pretty much the same but the wet lens introduces more chromatic aberration. I would not use it for stills but for video works very well
Nauticam is about to release a new wet wide angle lens that will also work with some 14-42mm 4/3 lenses there are tests with the Panasonic on their smugmug

I also shot the G7X and will write a short review soon. But I felt the LX100 IQ, lens and controls were much better. I have had a couple of people also shoot both cameras and newer users liked the G7X finding it very easy to use.

Jack
Can you confirm if the full zoom range is supported with the mini-dome on the LX100?

Last edited:
I didn't really pay any attention to it, but I seem to have a few here taken at various focal lengths with the dome. So I think it does. As you get close, you do need to switch to macro focusing mode.

16.5mm
LX100.jpg
12.5mm

LX100-2.jpg
17.9mm
LX100-3.jpg

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom