Panasonic LX7

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Revid1

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
100 - 199
Looking at purchasing a LX7 for a home camera as the price is around $300. How is this camera for underwater shooting both stills and video? I am new to the underwater world of photography. What will I need to purchase? What are the good cases and prices? What lenses will I need to have? I guess first of all before I spend the money want to be sure that this will make a good point and shoot underwater camera. Thank you for your assistance.

I don't think too many of us who have one consider it a 'point and shoot' type camera and consider it much more than that. I consider it a fairly robust camera capable of truly amazing photos and videos. To use it under water many of us purchase the Nauticam housing to start and then begin spending the real bucks on lighting, macro and wide angle attachments. If all you're after is point and shoot quality, the camera and the cheapest housing you can find for it will be probably all you need.

Reactions: fbk
Few flickr galleries

http://flic.kr/s/aHsjFj2cV9

Bunaken2013 - a set on Flickr

Videos

[youtubehq]CXk7G5I0Kdw[/youtubehq]

[youtubehq]xjNJAk4qfMg[/youtubehq]

[youtubehq]CmpBy70F2NE[/youtubehq]

[youtubehq]lC9Io6V0ajk[/youtubehq]

[youtubehq]koxuZo1YUwE[/youtubehq]

[youtubehq]JYDVDKzMzmo[/youtubehq]

The only limitation of the LX7 is the lack of a fisheye lens that works with it. The lens aperture is just too large

Thank you for your replies. The video looks great. Looking to get started so probably will want good housing. What lenses will I need if any?

Thank you for your replies. The video looks great. Looking to get started so probably will want good housing. What lenses will I need if any?

Inon UWL-H100 (the only wide angle lens that does not vignette badly) + hood
Inon UCL165

You can choose between M67 and LD Bayonet mount. The UWL-H100 is fairly heavy in water to screw and unscrew so I had a bayonet mount:
Inon UWL-H100 28LD
Inon UCL-165LD you can then stack an UCL-165M67 if you need to

Nauticam is the only housing that allows you to use the LD bayonet and is the one I had, the only alternative is ikelite however you are then forced into M67 mount. If you get an ikelite the only lens that works is the UWL-H100 28M67 type 1. Other lenses will sit too far from the port and vignette badly

Hi Revid, here Panasonic LX7 Photo Rig | Interceptor121 Underwater Video you can find others tip & tricks about the Pans Lx7 + Nauticam Housing .
It is a blog created by Interceptor121 and probably you can find some useful suggestions on the Lx7.
The Pana Lx7 is fantastic for both video and photography.
Here: Komodo - a set on Flickr
Dedalus 2013 - a set on Flickr
Maldive 2013 - a set on Flickr
You can see some pictures made with the Lx7 in Nauticam Housing , two Inon Z240 strobes, one Inon UWL-H 100 28M67 for the wide pictures and one UCL 165M67 for macro pictures.
Scipionems

Reactions: fbk
Again. I appreciate your help. Probably won't buy external lights yet. I think just the housing and lenses will suffice to get started. Do I need the same lenses for shooting stills as video?

To give an idea bunaken video is wetmate (84 degrees fov) and close up lens, grenada is wide lens (100 degrees fov) lembeh is bare port and lots of close up lenses

These videos and pics are all really fantastic. Even more so considering it is a $300 camera.

I have one and although I haven't yet gotten to use it as much as I would like the video quality is superb. So much better than the gopro I had. I got the Nauticam housing and wetmate dome, plus an Inon 165 closeup lens (both 67mm). I haven't used it for photo's yet but scipionems those galleries are stunning. I am still getting the hang of mine but here is a really quick edit I just threw together of a single night dive locally

[video=youtube;2V4kq_0DRAM]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2V4kq_0DRAM[/video]

I don't know what cheap housing options there are but the nauticam is a grand. It is a big investment at 3x the camera cost but it is well worth it and the upside is that the camera is cheap to replace or keep one as a spare. Those 2 wet lenses are reasonably priced too and will cover the vast majority of what you need without going crazy.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom