Panhandle Conditions 6-22/25-05

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

WetHoss

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
100 - 199
Did a trip to several springs and to PCB duting the last few days and thought I would share the conditions. Vortex is actually clear during the week, no suprise though without 200 divers like the weekends. Morrison is clear around the opening, but darker river water is still backed up around the rest of the pool, and for now it is free to swim and dive during the weekdays as I saw no collection box or personnel to collect fees.

Boat trip in PCB was good and did Strength and Bridgespan #12. Visibility was 25 tops. I was rather disappointed, but they were good dives. If you dive a bridges span, take time to stop and carefully look around the beam sections and if you look closely enough you will see tiny shrimp type critter that may be a tiny spindly lobster, and tons of blenny and other really small fish you dont see if you swim around withouth taking time to reall look closely.

Also stopped at Ponce de Leon Springs which is a good swimming hole but that is about all. The water is really clear.

Did a trip over to Marriana Blue Hole off Fl 71 and stopped at Cave Ventourers and had a top of of my Nitrox. They bank Nitrox and were able to top off my tank with 32%. The spring cost $2 a head and the water was great and very clear. I only did some snorkleing as I read and was informed that you need to stop and see the Sheriff to pay to access the site for diving. I did snorkle and saw that the opening to the cavern is directly underneath the diving board that the locals use. You can dive if you are willing to do the legwork to dive the cavern. I was told by a little bird that if you carry your equipment and suit up beyond the fence around the left side where the fence keeps swimmers from going out into the river that forms, that you can dive without the hassle because it is not park property. The water here was fantastic and the flow out of the cavern was very high and created quite a current.

Well, that is about it for the report, hope to dive more soon!!
Hoss

There isn't a charge for Morrison during the week or weekend, the site is state owned and kept up by the county I believe. I dove it Saturday and there was tannic water along the back of the basin and in the spring run, by the time I was back Sunday morning there was nothing but blue water, even up the spring run quite a ways. Full report later.

You snorkeled Jackson Blue? :D I'm jealous, I've still yet to get out there for that site. Unless you have atleast an Intro Cave Cert, the sherriff's station will not allow you to dive the site from the park area. A little bird also told me that you can dive it if you park a boat outside of the park area :wink: without the sherriff's consent.

Sounds like you had a good time, thanks for the reports.

Yep, JB is a cave diving only site from land...SB, just get your cavern cert and lets hit it.

jviehe:
Yep, JB is a cave diving only site from land...SB, just get your cavern cert and lets hit it.

Thats definately the plan :) I guess I need to buy some jets and a damned reel.

From what I have read recently, the Sheriffs department witll only let you dive at
Jackson Blue (or any cavern in their county) with full cave cert. I browsed the cavern and cave board and got lots of info. Also I will look up the name of the road, about a mile from Jackson Blue, there is a dive shop that banks nitrox, and rents a couple of pontoon boats that would enable one to dive the whole of Merritts Mill Pond (the small lake that is formed by the springs in the area). They specialize in cave and cavern diving and training. They had a pretty nice shop and plenty of specialized gear at good prices. N30 47.055 W85 09.638 are the coordinates for the shop. From Marianna, go north on 71 for about a mile until you get to Blue springs road on the right. Travel about two miles and the next road after Camp road or Hunter Fish Camp road is the one you want to go to the shop. I think they can set you up. I would be up to splitting a boat with a couple other divers for some diving in that area if you let me know when. I will try to get the phone number for that shop to allow for reserving a boat (pontoon). Also I am a previous boat owner, so I could captain if nessessary!!

Thanks...The Hoss Man!!!

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/
https://xf2.scubaboard.com/community/forums/cave-diving.45/

Back
Top Bottom