Panny 7x14 or Oly 9x18 m4/3?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

...Can you use the kit 14-45 inside the Zen dome that you bought for the 7-14 or do you have to put the flat port back on? I read somewhere that you could...
Yes, you can use the 14-42 with the Zen dome. As with the w/a lenses, it brings you back to about 100% view (what you get on land). I have done that several times and it works fine. As with the w/a lens, you will need to close down the aperture a bit to avoid edge softness.
As mentioned, if you have a w/a lens then it makes more sense to swap back to the normal port when using the 14-42, especially if doing macro and even more so if you want to use add on wet lenses.
an example at 42mm with zen dome (50% crop and resized).. these guys are tiny.
Borneo-UW-081179.jpg

With the Panasonic 7-14 zoom lens I used the Olympus 14-42 gear and put adhesive backed velcro tape on the lens to shim up the difference. It worked very well and did not slide or fall off.

Phil Rudin

I notice that Athena has some gears announced for M43 lenses used with their Port system. These seem rather expensive compared to Olympus' gears. I paid about $45 for OLY gear for the 9-18 [which happily fits the new 14-42 II], the Athenas are about $200.
http://www.athena-opt.com/E-PL1_chart04_for%20Olympus.pdf
Could be a very low volume custom product, that's why it's high. I love the few Athena products I have bought in the past.

On another forum, Wetpixel, there is quite a lot of discussion about making zoom / focus gears from several everyday materials. People used standard sewing machine and vacuum cleaner toothed belts, and cut strips from ribbed floor mat. They sometimes improvised tubes from PVC pipe or even rolled up plastic signs.
DIY zoom/focus gears - Wetpixel :: Underwater Photography Forums
Gears - Wetpixel :: Underwater Photography Forums
http://wetpixel.com/forums
/index.php?showtopic=15291

One clever fellow made his own port with magnetic focus gear for the Panasonic 45mm macro lens:
DIY Pana GF1 housing - Wetpixel :: Underwater Photography Forums

Quick report on how things went, unfortunately no pictures yet, I've got over 600 imported into lightroom and it's going to take a while to get through!

Couple highlights:

I used a thin wrist sized flat rubber band around the zoom ring of the panny 7-14 instead of gaffers tape with the 14-42 zoom gear. Worked flawlessly and is MUCH cheaper than the actual zoom gear.

14-42 lens work just fine in the Zen port! Note - really want to pay more attention next time to softness/distortion on the edges when using this lens pulled back to 14mm in the Oly port v the Zen port. Now that I'm running through workflow on the pictures I'm seeing some softness/distortion when shooting the 14mm full wide in the Oly port. That may or may not go away in the Zen port. However, since this port doesn't allow macro I won't really ever use it. Shot my first every macro shots and really enjoyed it!

It was tough getting used to the 7-14 underwater. You REALLY have to get close to fill up the frame when you're shooting 7mm. Which means you can't be nearly as ham handed in approaching fish/critters. But the results were very nice.

LOVE LOVE LOVE this setup. Everything from the ease of use, small form factor (compared to dSLR) and quality of results I'm seeing thus far, really impressed with how it handles underwater, how easy it is to do semi-wide all the way to macro with the kit lens and macro adapter w/ Inon wet macro lens.

I was the envy of the boat with the Sola 600. That red light feature is fantastic. If you've done night diving with Tarpon around you know how they love to follow you and attack the poor varmints in your white light beam from over your shoulder, generally scaring the hell out of you in the process. With the red light, had no such issues. It did still spook some critters but others were totally unaware of it or me. Squid, octopus and crustations most notably were unaware. At 600 white light it's bright enough to help fill in spots for aiding the flash and for video during the day. For night dives in clear water it is FAR too much. The red light is perfect and I don't see any need to have that adjustable. Was fine and when using a strobe you can't tell in stills that the red light is on at all. I used red light exclusively and a 600 lumen hand held light with tight beam pattern but big spill area for long reach critter spotting.

I did forget to pop the flash up before one dive and didn't notice until I couldn't figure out why my strobe wasn't firing. Dammit. I knew I would and I think it's a HUGE design flaw that there is no way to pop the flash once in the housing.

I shot in manual mode the whole trip, usually f6 to f8 depending on time of day and available light. Shutter speed either 160 or 125 depending on time of day and light. Really nice to be able to do HD video with this as well.

Byte Me - I am thinking of getting the same setup. I have a couple of questions.

Can you zoom the 7-14mm inside the Oly housing? Does the zoom gear for the kit 14-45 Oly lens work?

Can you use the kit 14-45 inside the Zen dome that you bought for the 7-14 or do you have to put the flat port back on? I read somewhere that you could.

Thanks for the help.

Please post some images from your trip!

Great info thanks for sharing!

Out of interest, how long does it take to swap out the ports - is it quick and easy?

Look forward to seeing the results.

Great info thanks for sharing!

Out of interest, how long does it take to swap out the ports - is it quick and easy?

Look forward to seeing the results.

I have swapped out the zen dome and the standard port a few times now and it is pretty quick, but isn't always easy. I find that using an inexpensive strap wrench helps remove the ports. They can be very very tight.
Removing the screw, removing the port, putting on another port and tightening the screw can be done in 2 to 5 minutes. It is easier if you have someone help you. Not an operation for the deck of a boat though.

I have swapped out the zen dome and the standard port a few times now and it is pretty quick, but isn't always easy. I find that using an inexpensive strap wrench helps remove the ports. They can be very very tight.
Removing the screw, removing the port, putting on another port and tightening the screw can be done in 2 to 5 minutes. It is easier if you have someone help you. Not an operation for the deck of a boat though.

Agree with Frank, my Zen port is a much tighter fit than the Oly port and very difficult to turn out. I was able to execute the change in just a couple minutes on the liveaboard camera table but it's a very large table on a stable boat. On the deck of a 6-pack? That would be quite a challenge!

I have used all three of the ZEN wide angle ports, 9-18, 7-14 and 8 fisheye with such confidence that I have skipped replacing the lock and screw on several occasions. I do NOT recommend doing this. Plenty of O-ring grease helps with the removal process and the strap wrench seems like a good idea if you don't turn in the wrong direction. I needed to use the strap wrench with my Aquatica F-3 housing.

I found the 14-42 zoom with the ZEN 9-18 port to be quite nice for fish shots to shark size with much better corner sharpness than the Olympus flat port beyond 35 mm or so.

Regarding gears I like the idea of using the 14-42 gear for the 7-14 zoom and the Athena gears are just to pricy for the overall system cost.

Regarding using the 7-14 at 7 mm you do need to be very close v. the 14 end of the kit lens and the 8 mm fisheye is even harder to control but the results can be stunning.

Phil Rudin

...I used a thin wrist sized flat rubber band around the zoom ring of the panny 7-14 instead of gaffers tape with the 14-42 zoom gear. Worked flawlessly and is MUCH cheaper than the actual zoom gear.
A rubber band, so simple. Phil Rudin suggested velcro tape for the same function. Both work. Thanks for the tips.
14-42 lens work just fine in the Zen port! Note - really want to pay more attention next time to softness/distortion on the edges when using this lens pulled back to 14mm in the Oly port v the Zen port. Now that I'm running through workflow on the pictures I'm seeing some softness/distortion when shooting the 14mm full wide in the Oly port. That may or may not go away in the Zen port. However, since this port doesn't allow macro I won't really ever use it. Shot my first every macro shots and really enjoyed it!
I believe you can shoot macro with the dome. Put a close up lens on your lens, inside the dome. I believe the dome is a lens too, and it has the effect of moving the infinity focus closer to about 16 inches, and shortening the minimum working distance. Using a good quality achromatic close up lens, such as a Marumi +5 diopter lens, you should be able to focus over the full range, from 2 inches to infinity. I have not had a chance to try this, so I could be wrong. My next dive trip is coming soon and I will do so. I am mentioning this again in case someone wants to try it before me.

About changing ports, I had to use a strap wrench to get the original port started; it had sat for a while and needed a bit of force to start. Then it wiggled out but took some time. I did not find installing the zen dome port much more difficult, but I did add some silicone grease just in case. I did the final 1/8th turn to lock it using the strap wrench again. I don't think this is going to accidentally come off, so I really think the lock bracket and screw is a waste and requires another tool, but I did re-install it for security. I know they did not envision people interchanging ports so made this lock mechanism inconvenient; wonder if an ikelite style port lock would work just as well. Oh well, this is certainly secure.

On an unrelated note, I am working on putting a dome on the original port to try with a wider lens, if and when I get the budget. I have no use for the old port now, so the price is right. The trick is getting the dome, but I think I found a source. It won't be a Zen, but it won't cost $800 either. To be continued...

It was tough getting used to the 7-14 underwater. You REALLY have to get close to fill up the frame when you're shooting 7mm. Which means you can't be nearly as ham handed in approaching fish/critters. But the results were very nice.

LOVE LOVE LOVE this setup. Everything from the ease of use, small form factor (compared to dSLR) and quality of results I'm seeing thus far, really impressed with how it handles underwater, how easy it is to do semi-wide all the way to macro with the kit lens and macro adapter w/ Inon wet macro lens.
Damn! Stop it, I'm getting lens envy. I have bought the 9-18 and zen dome -- and for me that was a big expense. I'll see how it goes, the 9-18 is a sweet lens too.
I was the envy of the boat with the Sola 600. That red light feature is fantastic. If you've done night diving with Tarpon around you know how they love to follow you and attack the poor varmints in your white light beam from over your shoulder, generally scaring the hell out of you in the process. With the red light, had no such issues. It did still spook some critters but others were totally unaware of it or me. Squid, octopus and crustations most notably were unaware. At 600 white light it's bright enough to help fill in spots for aiding the flash and for video during the day. For night dives in clear water it is FAR too much. The red light is perfect and I don't see any need to have that adjustable. Was fine and when using a strobe you can't tell in stills that the red light is on at all. I used red light exclusively and a 600 lumen hand held light with tight beam pattern but big spill area for long reach critter spotting.
Double Damn! I know you are right, but the toys keep getting more expensive. There are certain fish that cocoon up in mucus at night so foraging crabs can't smell them, and if disturbed they withdraw the mucus but can't replace it, so they get eaten if I hit them with bright light. I feel criminal. I really think I should get this Sola 600 so I am not a murderer. Maybe I'll try a red filter first.
I did forget to pop the flash up before one dive and didn't notice until I couldn't figure out why my strobe wasn't firing. Dammit. I knew I would and I think it's a HUGE design flaw that there is no way to pop the flash once in the housing.
A good time to try the high ISO setting to save the dive. If you will note, the release for the flash is a slider and that's a hard motion to get right with actuators, but it could be done.

Thanks for the report. Love to see those pics when you get them "developed" in Lightroom.

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom