Papua New Guinea vs Indonesia

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Jordan23

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
hi

im thinking of doing LOB during july august and i wonder if somebody made the mv charten lob (that is mostly muc dives - which i never did|) or fabrina RABAUL - KIMBE BAY or kinbay to kimbay.
another question is it really diffrent from the marin life or what is more reach , divers. anileo indonesia or palau?

thanks for replays

PNG Tops Raja Ampat, Komodo, Alor, Anilao in my opinion. I think you will find Chertans Milne Bay itinerary includes more than just muck diving - Deacons Reef for example is one of my highlight dive spots.

You also have the wild undeveloped factor in PNG so you will rarely see other divers plus culturally it's a fascinating place. I cannot speak for Kimbe as I haven't dived there.

thanks a lot. i dont know yet if to choose the tawali resort vs lob.. (regarding the marin life)

Tawali is better if you want more muck diving. The Milne Bay lob's are more focused on getting to the reef sites which are not within easy reach of the resort.

We spend one week at Walindi in 2012. We also have been to R4 north and South (Misool). Kimbe Bay diving is absolutely mind blowing and in my opinion better than Raja Ampat.

What is a good month for Milne Bay LOBs?

I went to Madang 25 or 30 years ago. At that time, about half the flights listed on the airport information boards were either cancelled or delayed. My flight to Madang was delayed and after it eventually took off, it had to turn back due to engine problems. All this makes for a memorable vacation, but have the flight situation improved?

We spend one week at Walindi in 2012. We also have been to R4 north and South (Misool). Kimbe Bay diving is absolutely mind blowing and in my opinion better than Raja Ampat.
I dived Walindi for a week in 2014 and a combo 10 day LOB-land based Komodo trip in 2016... and to be honest I preferred PNG.
You feel so totally remote, very few people, teeming fish life... end-of-the-earth diving with volcano silhouettes and crashed WWII planes.
I'm looking at a return trip to PNG this year... coming from Australia it's actually easier than Komodo/RA.. well so long as the inter-island planes depart vaguely on time :D

Last edited:
Milne Bay is relatively protected and being so close to the equator isn't really subject to cyclones too much. It's not really got a "bad time" of year so to speak, and the resort or lob captain will choose sites depending on weather and current on any given day.

We were there for Christmas 2012. Weather was perfect.

Reactions: Jay
https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom