Papua New Guinea vs Indonesia

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Thanks to everyone who has chipped in with tips and advice. Has anyone backpacked in PNG, are there any homestay type options in PNG ? If I'm going to be paying double the rate of R4 I want to see lots of big stuff, does PNG deliver on the big stuff and how is it in comparison to somewhere like Palau?

Thanks to everyone who has chipped in with tips and advice. Has anyone backpacked in PNG, are there any homestay type options in PNG ? If I'm going to be paying double the rate of R4 I want to see lots of big stuff, does PNG deliver on the big stuff and how is it in comparison to somewhere like Palau?
I did backpack the main island many yrs ago. Missionary place was usually the most economical option available but the rate was NOT cheap even for a dorm bed.
I have to fly from Port Moresby to Goroka because there was no road leading out of the city. From Gogoka I travelled by public transport to Mt Hagan via couple of other places. And then flew to Madang, another flight to Wewak. There was an expat leasing bed in his small house. Took a bus from Wewak to Angoram and stayed at a guest house, a day trip on Sepik is recommended. I was using Lonely Planet then.
Returned back to Port Moresby on another flight. Backpacker was few and far in between.

Very interesting and expensive place.

So where is the Place for big stuff in PNG and how does it compare to other big stuff locations ?

Kavieng in New Ireland.
Never been but read plenty about it.
Together with Rabaul these are the two places that I would like to visit if I ever return to this amazing country

Kavieng for big stuff. Tufi is a good compromise if you want some more colourful reef diving as well (less big stuff, but much prettier).

Does not compare with other specific “big stuff” destinations. PNG is mostly about reefs and wrecks. Has big stuff around, but that’s not really why you go diving there.

RIGHT, all this PNG chat has galvanised me into a pre-winter return trip!
I've dived at Walindi resort a couple of years ago, but keen now to try Milne Bay.

I'm currently tossing up between Tawali Resort and their LOB the Spirit of Niugini... the resort offers diver packages but appears to be only two dives per day:
DAILY BOAT DIVE
HOUSE REEF DIVE
Resort Package For Divers | Tawali

The LOB schedule doesn't list numbers of dives per day but usually its at least 3.
MV Spirit of Niugini Live Aboard Experience | Tawali

Can anyone with Tawali/Milne Bay experience please help advise what option would offer the best diving?

Have a look at Chertan - I'm pretty sure they're still doing MB Itineries - land based - Tawali

I've dived Tawali a few times. 3 dives is standard. They're missing an (s) on that list where it says "boat dive". 3 boat dives was normal on my trips, with the house reef being used for optional mandarin fish or night dives :) Email them to confirm, but I doubt that's changed.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom