Park royal vs El cid.

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

ranada

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
I've stayed at park royal several times, but this next trip coming in October I'm bringing my knee that needs total replacement, so I'm. Not sure I can handle scuba and those stairs at PR. Anyone been to EL CID lately or both and give me a comparison.

park royal is pretty nice. can't you just request a ground floor room ? never been to el cid. we have stayed at hotel cozumel a couple of times and really enjoy it there. no stairs if you get a ground floor room.

Hotel Cozumel has an elevator (2 in fact side by side) for those wanting to avoid the stairs. The tunnel to the beach club however has stairs (from memory 20 at 1 side & 24 at the other side) but you can cross the road & most drivers are kind enough to let you.

Park Royal has a new elevator now that you can use instead of the stairs. Works well! I had to use it a few times when there 3 weeks ago. Its right where the old non working elevator was!

Hotel Cozumel has an elevator (2 in fact side by side) for those wanting to avoid the stairs. The tunnel to the beach club however has stairs (from memory 20 at 1 side & 24 at the other side) but you can cross the road & most drivers are kind enough to let you.

all true. we never used the elevators. maybe we will need them one day in the future though.

Awesome last time I was there it was broken. Bag drag up those giant set of stairs and I bet we go up them several times a day just heading out of the resort or going to the club. I can still do stairs kind of but not carrying a suitcase with dive gear. This maybe my last dive trip for awhile. Once I get knee replacement my doc is not going to release me for scuba for at least a year.

I know what you're saying & am sort of in the same boat plus I could really use a new right shoulder. Last trip I did decide to use the elevator for several trips up to our floor.

El Cid has a tower of rooms that goes one direction from the lobby and and a 3 story level that goes the other direction. Would assume that there is an elevator in the tower since it's several floors, but the other side has stairs or at least did in July of 2012.

The resort has an optional AI which we did for several days and then ate out the rest of the time. There is a nice snorkeling area where night dives can be done, but the entry, steps with a rail, is (was) not easy as it was pretty slippery. There is a nice pier where we were picked up for our dives but there is a dive shop there also. There is no beach but a nice sandy area with lounge chairs. Some cruise ship passengers may show up during the day. First floor on the 3 level side would be nice - I was on the 2nd floor when I stayed there and I had injured myself (3 small tears in my Achilles) a few days before the trip. I hobbled up the stairs and dove a few days even though my foot/ankle were about 2 times normal size. Went to the doctor after the trip!

I tore my Achilles right off the heel pushing a VW Bug many years ago. I turned into a pile of jelly waiting out the recovery period. My foot still isn't the same size it was because they had to use my big toe tendon to repair it. It's not easy getting a comfortable shoe for that foot. The limp has been switched over to the leg with the worst knee now.

Park Royal has a new elevator now that you can use instead of the stairs. Works well! I had to use it a few times when there 3 weeks ago. Its right where the old non working elevator was!
last time I went I stayed at Occidental grand. It was too far out on the island and a little stuffy. I always find the people staying at PR are fun and friendly but the last stay the elevator at the front was inoperable, the elevators to the rooms, half were down and it took forever to catch and elevator so we ended up doing stairs, and I had to drag my suitcase up the grand staircase at the end of my trip. My knee can't do that again.

Back
Top Bottom