• Welcome to ScubaBoard

1. Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
    • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
    • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Login or Register now by clicking on the button

Passport to re-enter US

Discussion in 'Lake Effect Divers' started by Derek S, Apr 5, 2005.

1. Mako Mark

Mako Mark Dive Charter

heaven forbid, what next?? the metric system???

2. jonnythan

jonnythan Knight Scublar ScubaBoard Supporter

# of Dives: 200 - 499
    I was surprised the first time I learned that you didn't need a passport for travel to and from Canada.

It's a problem that's long overdue to be fixed.. we've all been getting by easy for years, we have no room to complain that it won't be there in a few years.

3. Rick Murchison

Rick Murchison Trusty Shellback Staff Member ScubaBoard Supporter

# of Dives: 2,500 - 4,999
    If you don't have a passport, get one.
    No more whining or complaining.
    Love,
    Uncle Ricky

4. simbrooks

simbrooks Snr LayZboy Meteorologist ScubaBoard Supporter

# of Dives: 100 - 199
    Wont happen. I even had to learn a new system of measurement when i came to this country - one we invented a few centuries ago. :wink:

5. tainosoldier

tainosoldier Angel Fish

The military has been using a chip on our id's for a while now and I have to say that alot of benefits have come from the change: Instant charge for food on-post, id verification for restriced access (the chip has your fingerprint imbedded that is verified with your real time print, a personal security code) plus the ability to hold so much info: medical, dental, banking (it is rewritable). I have European friends that carry an I.D. like ours for everyday civilian use.
    How about an I.d. that would work as a passport and government ID like mentioned above? Maybe we are going that way? It would take the unified effort of all countries. Things like this have to start at some time, how long did it take for people to accept that new thingy called................deodorant! And its still catching on in some places!
    The way I read the article, it seems they are going to start "replacing" passports with the new ones as people request new passports or renewals, 2008 being the final deadline.

6. tainosoldier

tainosoldier Angel Fish

7. simbrooks

simbrooks Snr LayZboy Meteorologist ScubaBoard Supporter

# of Dives: 100 - 199
    From that very article:
    Well i know i have to get biometrics done on my visa, so i guess its only fair that you guys are getting it as well.... That is one reason my visa processing will take a while i guess, to program a little chip in the visa.

8. diverbrian

diverbrian Instructor, Scuba

# of Dives: 200 - 499
    I am with Derek. I held a passport when I was in the Navy and didn't want to be picked out of a group of passengers when I was flying (back then, hijackers had this nasty habit of collecting passports and giving "special" treatment to US military flying on military ID's in NATO countries).

My gripe was knowing that it will likely take a minimum of eight weeks to get a new one and about $90.00 when all is said and done. Then I thought they were changing this effective immediately? I was thinking about getting one anyways as fumbling around in a car stuffed with dive gear. I can handle 2008, LOL. I used to work for our beloved Uncle Sam and know that eight weeks of processing time can mean 24 wks if they are backlogged, LOL. So, 2005 would be a major inconvience to say the least.

9. Mako Mark

Mako Mark Dive Charter

I hear ya, I had to learn Spanish to go to Miami!!! :11:

10. triton94949

triton94949 Manta Ray

Exactly.