Passport to re-enter US

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Hank49:
You got it backwards. If you ask, "how deep did you dive"? 70 meters? or 230 feet? (on NITROX) Feet is way more macho.
13 sounds like a lot more than 5, though.

jonnythan:
13 sounds like a lot more than 5, though.

That's because it is. ???

... about this passport thing is the fact that it can be read remotely. From what I've read the gov. stipulates no more than 4", and is providing shielding in the front and back so that the passport has to be open, but it will be no time before some creative individual finds a way to read all your personal info from a distance.

I am not the paranoid type, I just can't see any reason they can't go with a system that requires contact (like your credit card strip).

If you're concerned, you can express yourself here:

http://rfidkills.com/

Who knew this was going to create so much interest in the LDS forum? Well, that's the last time I open my mouth (or keyboard). :D

conversion from metric to english or imperial however you want to state it is actually rather simple.

for example celsius to farenheit. double it and add 30 so for example
2 deg celsius is 2 X 2 + 30 = 32 Not quite exact but it will get you in the ball park.
10 deg celsius is 10 x 2 +30 = 50 farenheit not exact but in the ball park

Now Kilometers to Miles is also easy kilometers times .06= miles.

100 Kilometer x .06 = 60 miles not quite exact but in the ball park it is actually 62 miles.

35 kilometer x .06 = 21 miles. not quite exact but in the ball park

meters to yards is 1 meter is = 1 yard 6 inches this gets a little hairy.
20 meters is equal to 20yards plus 6 inches x20= 23 yards or 69 feet not quite but in the ball park
so when you see a road sign for the next exit is 500 meters it would be 500yds + 6x500= 583 yards or 1749 feet another words start slowing down quick your exit is approaching fast.
This will help you I dove in cancun I took my own equipment but the people who rented all the rental equipment was in metric so if your diving somwhere where you rent equipment 30 meters depth is deep 30 yards plus 6x30 = 35 yards or 105 feet so keep that in mind while trying to stay in recreational limits.

so there is your lesson for today next time your somwhere where they use metric you can now try it.

NetPro:
I thought the money looked funny in the 51st state.

OK all you canucks (especially my mother in law) - just kidding :eyebrow:

If it would help I don't have a problem using my passport. Unfortunatly with the border patrol staffing at ridiculously low levels, the honest citizens are the only ones who are hassled.

Jeff

Someday the USA will probably annex Canada for national security reasons and make 2 states out of it: Canada and Quebec. Same with Mexico: Baja and Mexico. Then you won't need to worry about passports there. :)

Derek S:
Who knew this was going to create so much interest in the LDS forum? Well, that's the last time I open my mouth (or keyboard). :D
LED forum?

Hank49:
You got it backwards. If you ask, "how deep did you dive"? 70 meters? or 230 feet? (on NITROX) Feet is way more macho.

LOL, that's not what I meant :wink:

Anyway, for me, I dive in meters and bar. All other distances are in feet, miles, etc. I have no basic feel for what 1000 PSI is, or 60 feet deep is.

This is one of those threads we Europeans bend over laughing when we read your posts! -IT'S FUNNY!!!

First all the fuzz about the simple thing of getting a passport. Now why shouldn't YOU have a passport? If you want to stay within the US borders the rest of your life, don't get a passport. If you want to travel, get a passport. It's that simple. The chip IS a security measure. The next time I renew my Norwegian passport there will be a chip in mine too. Not because Norwegian Government decided, but because YOUR GOVERNMENT decided there must be one to get into the USA. Now what is a passport good for if it isn't accepted in all countries? So chip it is... I'm not happy with being computer tracked every time I cross a border. But that's the way it has to be, since you guys always seem to piss off people from less friendly countries.

Now for the metric system. One thing I really, REALLY appreciate is that everything connects. Pressure, volume, weight, distances, temperatures...
-How was it with your system again? Oh, sorry. Not really a system is there?! :eyebrow:

There's 100 Cents in one Dollar. Is that really so difficult to grasp? I'm quite sure 90% of you would figure the metric system and even get used to it within a few weeks if you had to. -That is if you bother to try. Most Americans I've met didn't...

Harse words here now! Sorry if anyone feel I'm attacking. I'm not. In fact I used to live in the US, for a year at least. Graduated from high school there as well. Nathan Hale, Seattle, Class of '86. I loved it there! And I want to go back anytime, even with a chip in my new passport! :wink:

Take care and safe travelling everyone!

jonnythan:
Oh come on, sim. The weather temperature never gets to 50, much less 100.

And 0 C isn't all that cold to begin with. You metric wusses.

The track temperature at last week's F1 race in Bahrein was over 50C. :redhot:

Back
Top Bottom