Paul Allen exploration on WWII wrecks in Asian Pacific

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Whats the difference?? Fuso class
The differences on the superstructure would not had survived the pounding that both of them received as well as the huge impact when they landed on the sea bed upturned. .

I didnt read the full link you posted, but a quick and easy way to ID which ship is which - but obviously would not pertain to the wrecks as both being upside down - is the central turret between the superstructure and funnel. On one when it is fore/aft aligned the barrels point aft, while the other, when fore/aft aligned they point forward.

See below.
Fuso_Trial_Heading_Left-1.jpg

Japanese_battleships_Yamashiro,_Fuso_and_Haruna.jpg

It would be a great lost if every thing is being kept private. I really hope the Trustee could see the reason and publish it. Perhaps they are working on it. Fingers crossed.

What specifically do you refer to being kept private? Isn't all, or basically all their discoveries, along with copius images, posted on Petrals facebook (I think?) page, or on their own website?

They are pointing in opposite direction.
Perhaps the RV has a good view of them as one of the wreck might not completely upside down eg. Repulse and PoW. And the silt is not very deep because of the current.

I think a full and proper documentary/book is the least the project deserted. I will take a look at the FB and their website.
Thank you.

Vulcan Productions shuts down, 23 years and more than 80 films after Paul Allen launched the venture

There are a lot info on all those explorations on RV Petrel FB but very fragmentation.
No words were mentioned on the identification of both Fuso and Yamashiro

They are pointing in opposite direction.
Correct, one turret (Yamashiro's) is 'against' superstructure and points aft, other (Fuso) is 'against' funnel and points forward.
I think a full and proper documentary/book is the least the project deserted.
I'd certainly second that motion! And if anyone has the wherewithal to do the definitive book / books on all those wrecks it is those guys!
Vulcan Productions shuts down, 23 years and more than 80 films after Paul Allen launched the venture
Yes I was afraid that was either the case or going to be the case.

PS. Heard back from Capt. V?

Yes he has
I was going to send you a thank you note but you do not accept pm.
Thank you very much.

No problem. But odd you couldn't send me a PM, as have received before. Will have to look into that (but having just done so can't see where that 'box' may be to check / uncheck. I'll dive back in and look around some more).
And heard from the man himself yesterday myself. :cheers:

I'm still waiting on a response. He may be with the expedition out on the USS Johnston right now. They may be looking the Gambier Bay, Hoel, and Samuel B Roberts while they are in that area too.

I'm still waiting on a response. He may be with the expedition out on the USS Johnston right now. They may be looking the Gambier Bay, Hoel, and Samuel B Roberts while they are in that area too.

There is no hurry on the matter.

Best time of the year over the eastern seaboard of Philippines.
Good luck to the search.

@Centrals

Just heard back from my friend.

It was an underwhelming response, but he said that the Yamashiro was mainly identified by location of the sinking. The middle turret was not seen at all therefore could not be traced to its mount.

He mentioned that the windows from the padoga superstructure are different from Fuso's at the top. However they could not locate the remains of the superstructure that identified it. The stern where they believed would have held welded "lettering" is buried by 15ft of mud. It appears she hit bottom stern first. They are sure that this is was the wreck that Bennett did 20 years ago and the Russian "expedition" was a hoax on a much shallower site. He did not mention Fuso at all.

They have been chased out of the Philippines by their security forces. The government is hostile to those who are looking for war remains. Apparently it began with the discovery of the Musashi in 2015. The government there wants them to apply for a expensive archeological license and have a ton of restrictions.

Thank you very much.

Philippines Gov only knows MONEY!
J Bennett never dived that wreck.
It was NOT an "Russian Expedition"! I believe Cedric Verdier is French and Mark Konefe is American but not sure about the third person.
I would not say the dive was a hoax but there was always question mark on Verdier claim that he had dived Yamashiro/Fuso.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom