PC Naming of things

What would you name an area or post about handicapped divers?

• Handicapped SCUBA Divers

Votes: 3 15.8%
  • Disabled SCUBA Divers

Votes: 7 36.8%
  • Challenged Divers

Votes: 3 15.8%
  • Other name, suggestion in post below

Votes: 6 31.6%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I am all for "Divers with Disabilities" however PC in the end may not like the "disabilities" part. IMHO it is impossible to make everybody happy because they are programmed to complain. Many times it is not the person that "falls into the category" that complains....it is the person who has but a few challenges in life, has nothing to do and wants to speak. I agree with Almighty.....I think as long as the area / website (or whatever) is set-up and run with nothing but respect for all people including it's members, then I think they will be happy to have a place where they can go to meet or talk to other divers with similar (or different) disabilities. However, I do agree that if they are a diver, then they are a diver. The rest is just something that needs to be discussed while planning the dive so there are no surprises. Beyond that, we are all the same. WE ALL look funny in our oufits...except of course for Ber in here ears :D

Interesting. I think of myself as challenged, not disabled, but honestly don't care what I am called as long as the tone is kind. I just have to do some things a little different than most divers to overcome my challenges. It's no big deal, at least in all the dives I've done. I think the most understood is disabled.

Being in a wheelchair for 23+ years...I don't really care what I am called. It is just a reference to what has happened to me...not to who I am.

I do like DwD (Divers with Disabilites) though. Has a nice ring to it.

I also like the old standby's...Gimp and Cripple which is what my friends normally call me but I'm probably the odd-man-out on that.

"Divers With Disabilities" works for me...

Just dont take "One Eyed Divers Association" and "Cyclops' Dive Shoppe"...The former is my little dive club in my town, the latter is the name my buds gave my "little" dive locker at home!

It appears that the most popular choice is Divers with Disabilities followed by Handicapped Scuba.

Thank you all for your input.

From what I understand of modern PC and psychology, it seems that the correct term to use now is something to the effect of "person with [affliction x]" -- hence "divers with disabilities" to cover all bases works well within those bounds.

The key is identifying (and respecting) that the individual in question is first, and foremost a person (or diver), and the "disability" is descriptive not defining.

Using "schizophrenic" or "mute" is not appropriate, as it defines the person by their disability. These two terms would be better rephrased as "person with schizophrenia" and "person with muteness" according to today's thinking.

Using "schizophrenic" or "mute" is not appropriate, as it defines the person by their disability. These two terms would be better rephrased as "person with schizophrenia" and "person with muteness" according to today's thinking.

Thanks for setting me straight. Now I know you are a person who dives, but you are not a diver. I wouldn't want to define you by an activity.

Let's all not lose sight of the fact that political correctness at some point will turn all of us into nameless, faceless drones with no individuality.

Thanks for setting me straight. Now I know you are a person who dives, but you are not a diver. I wouldn't want to define you by an activity.

FWIW... I am not a "person who dives"... nor am I a "diver"... I am a fish who spends entirely too much time on land.

As for the PC naming idea... I've never been a fan of political correctness unless it is to avoid an obvious insult. If you're looking to create an area here that is to be a general information source for those people with 'disabilities' then it would fine, IMO, to call it "Divers with Disabilities". However, one of my most common dive buddies broke his neck when he was a kid and he is convinced he can do anything as well as me or anyone else. He walks with a defined limp and in turn he get gets to have nicknames such as "Gimp", "Hop-a-long", "Sir-Limps-a-lot"... Kind of mean, but he has a great sense of humor and just gives it right back to us "normal" people.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom