Peace be with you Wes Skiles (21 July 2010)

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

The picture was taken by Dave Chamberlin (I am actually in this shot so it wasn't me!) Believe the person on the far right in that photo is Bob Widman who is an accomplished underwater photographer in his own right.

That was a fun trip, though I can't help thinking about the fate of the fellow who is standing immediately to my right. Sigh. Dive safe everyone. Accidents can happen even to very accomplished divers.

Clinton

Clinton - thank you for clearing that up for me. I do remember you, but it didn't occur to me that you were in the picture so you couldn't have taken it. My apologies to Bob if he should read this. I was just on another exploratory trip on the Nautilus Explorer to Guadalupe recently and Roberto and Alicia were there.

Kawika has been gone over three years now and even though I did not talk to him much on that 2004 trip, I think of him often and how much I admired his photography on coldwaterimages.com, even before he went missing.

I am deeply saddened by the loss of another talented underwater photographer. I went to the National Geographic web site and looked through Wes' incredible pictures. My condolences to his family and everyone who knew him and will miss him.

Got this from Wayne at Amigo's, I didn't know Wes but I sure enjoyed a lot of his work.
RIP
Josh

In Memory of
WESLEY C. SKILES

Memorial Celebration and Service
Wednesday, July 28, 2010 at Ginnie Springs

The memorial service will begin at 6:00 pm followed by a celebration of Wes’s life.

Ginnie Springs will be open to our guests all afternoon. The celebration will last into the evening. You may want to bring the beverage of your choice and a picnic supper or food to share.

The family requests that in lieu of flowers donations be made in Wes’s name to: the Alachua Conservation Trust.

On Wednesday one of my heroes died. Wes Skiles was the consummate caver diver, adventurer, photographer and videographer. His death comes as National Geographic features one of his images on the cover of the August issue and a long feature inside about the wonderful blue holes in the Bahamas. Without checking I think he's been a photographer for at least 4 major articles in the Yellow covered magazine.

Wes survived many adventures against all odds and his favorite quote on facebook really sums up what he was about.

Actually a advertisement for Shackleton's expedition to Antarctica: "Men wanted for hazardous journey. Low wages, bitter cold, long hours of complete darkness. Safe return doubtful. Honour and recognition in event of success". Pretty much reflects my real life...

A modest man that found public speaking a hurdle to deal with he always said to his friends. "Let me know I'm talking to my friends give me a big "Hey Now" when I get up to the podium."

I can't say his loss is unexpected, rather I'm surprised he made it as many years as he did.
I think Wes felt the same way, a sense of wonder that he was still here after some really amazing expeditions.

I spent a lot of time caving with the National Speleological Society and even more time diving as a PADI instructor and underwater photographer, but when I tried cave diving I found the avocation that just had odds stacked to badly out of my favor. It was one of the few crazy things I've done that made me say "No this isn't a good idea". Wes did this for decades and created wonderful images, added greatly to our knowledge regarding the underwater and subterranean world from Australia to his home in the Florida springs.

I see the luminescence from his fins lighting the dark sea as Wes strokes ahead of us leading the way through the darkness on the ocean at night. Wonders to see and new frontiers to explore. There are rare chances for someone to be the first person to see a place never before visited by man. Wes was one of the few of us to enjoy that thrill.

At Ginnie Springs on Wednesday his friends will gather to celebrate the life of Wes Skiles. I wish I could be there and shout out "Hey Now"
And Wes in turn I expect you to reply and let us know you reached the other side and shout out a big "HEY NOW".
RIP for Wes Skiles

I just was reading the recent National Geographic edition about Blue Holes in Bahamas with Wes' photos....very sad news indeed.

The celebration of Wes' life was just that and held at the Spring he so dearly loved. So many spoke about him, his life, his legacy and his passion. Out of all that was said, one Skiles quote hit me the hardest: "The sun sure feels good on my face." This was after a rather harrowing dive with a cave in.

The family was rather taken back at the numbers who came out... over 600 but I don't think we hit a thousand. There wasn't a dry eye in the house, and that was not due to the mist and drizzle. He will be missed and we have a huge hole in our community.

Via con Dios, mi Amigo!

Thank you for sharing this scene. We toasted a drink to this special man

Last edited:
By the way, if you haven’t seen Advance Diver Magazine's tribute to Wes, it’s worth seeing.
Wes Skiles Photography • ADVANCED DIVER MAGAZINE

Thanks,

c

Thanks Couv! I urge everyone to look at this tribute (with comments by Wes himself). As a novice underwater photographer, I smiled in recognition when I read Wes' remark:

"The goal, to drag an enormous amount of expensive, flood-prone, tempermental and dangerous electronic equipment into an environment of perpetual darkness and hope everybody and everthing does their job. It has to be the only form of photography where you have no idea what you have created until after you get the film back."

Yes, how many times have I gotten back after a dive, downloaded a picture and found a great shot I didn't even realise I had taken!

This man is such an inspiration. We all will suffer from his loss.

Tricia

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom