Peacock Fatality Accident Analysis

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Cave Diver

Contributor
Scuba Instructor
Divemaster
Reaction score
I've seen discussion going back and forth in various threads about the role that rule violation played in the recent Peacock fatality. I've just skimmed the threads so I haven't read all the details yet.

Some people mentioned medical concerns, others point towards rule violation.

This seems like a good discussion for the T2T forum.

I've seen discussion going back and forth in various threads about the role that rule violation played in the recent Peacock fatality. I've just skimmed the threads so I haven't read all the details yet.

Some people mentioned medical concerns, others point towards rule violation.

This seems like a good discussion for the T2T forum.

There is a lot of information that is missing,but I am for any discussion that can avoid a future accident,even if there is some hypothetical conjecture. It makes us feel better when we can give medical issues as a causitive factor,because that helps feed rationalization that this can't happen to me. It was brought up that if the victim was having a medical issue,then why did the buddy have trouble catching up. Sorry,that this accident had to happen at all.

Superlyte posted in another thread that the surviving buddy (who Superlyte spoke with) tried to show her the line arrows and the way out. He also said the buddy tried to chase her down but couldn't keep up. That's not indicative of a medical issue.

Also, according to someone on site the buddy said they were doing a circuit through the Crossover Tunnel. And they were Intro trained/certified. Apparently, there were also no jump reels/spools in place. While there may be missing information, what is out there so far shows that rules were violated.

I understand that they lacked the formal training for a full cave dive but is there any word on the experience level of the divers?

Were they new to caves, or have they been diving at an intro level for some time?

Reports circulating elsewhere indicate that they've been diving Peacock regularly for about four years.

... Bob (Grateful Diver)

They have been diving Peacock every wednesday for nearly 5 years. I am full cave and in Peacock they have me beat on dives. I'm uncertain if the guy was full cave or not. I think he was. I'm not sure why she never pursued beyond Intro. Honestly, I was going to dive with them today, and not give it a second thought with their dive plan because they have tons of dives here.

I think experience should account for something. And sure reels maybe weren't placed. But if you've placed a reel at every jump at peacock every single time, then comment, if not, you should shut up just like i'm doing now.

I have read only what everybody else has read. But my first two reactions to the report were: WHY do people not set jump spools? Whether it would have helped here or not, they didn't do it. It takes so little time . . .

The second reaction was to bless Danny Riordan, who was my Cave 1 instructor. Danny pounded and pounded and pounded on us to take "snapshots" of the cave -- memorable places where you could recognize a formation, and note time and gas at that point. He told us to turn around and look at our "snapshot" places from behind, so we could recognize them coming out. He quizzed us unmercifully about our snapshots, and I really resented it. Danny, as always, was right.

I have dived with Florida-trained divers from my same agency, who weren't taught about snapshots. Given the frequently simpler navigation, the lack of alternate exits, and the distance markers on the line, I guess the instructors there don't harp on this.

But it's amazingly comforting to know where you are, and if you don't make note of it, I wonder if you actually remember. I hear Danny's voice on every dive; I do my damnedest to note my bookmarks, and I'm furious with myself, at the end of the dive, if I can't remember them. If I got disoriented, I would hope I wouldn't have to swim more than a couple of minutes before encountering something I had made enough note of to recognize; in the absence of total panic, I would hope I would regroup and fix the problem.

The final note is team . . . in Cave 2, we had some instances where one team member was completely convinced we should go one way, and the other two knew a different choice was correct. I would hope that, if I were anxious and unsure, I would trust a calm and composed buddy. He may be wrong. But if so, I made the wrong choice of teammate.

Reports circulating elsewhere indicate that they've been diving Peacock regularly for about four years.

... Bob (Grateful Diver)

Steve Berman had 100's of hours and dives at Ginnie,but one mistake. Never get complacent,that is when it will bite you.

Steve Berman had 100's of hours and dives at Ginnie,but one mistake. Never get complacent,that is when it will bite you.

True ... but I was responding to Cave Diver's question without making any judgmental comments.

As to why no jump lines were placed, I can only conjecture that perhaps because they weren't planning to come back to retrieve them. It's a simple trianglular circuit that ends where it begins. Again, I'm not going to comment on whether or not that's a good idea ... but given their planned route, it seems like a logical answer to why they would have considered it.

I agree with you about not getting complacent ... caves are pretty unforgiving places.

... Bob (Grateful Diver)

They have been diving Peacock every wednesday for nearly 5 years. I am full cave and in Peacock they have me beat on dives. I'm uncertain if the guy was full cave or not. I think he was. I'm not sure why she never pursued beyond Intro. Honestly, I was going to dive with them today, and not give it a second thought with their dive plan because they have tons of dives here.

I think experience should account for something. And sure reels maybe weren't placed. But if you've placed a reel at every jump at peacock every single time, then comment, if not, you should shut up just like i'm doing now.

Well I have placed jump reels every time I have been in Peacock. No exceptions will be made in that event. It comes across as you think its no big deal if you place a reel or not. I doubt thats the case but do you think its ok to do full cave stuff when your not a full cave diver? Those rules are in place for reasons and IMO there is too many violations happening everyday. Thats why we hash these things out. Its only a matter of time before this happens again and it looks bad on us. And from what I know can have restrictions placed on access to systems which affects us all. I hope someone who does break these rules see what others have posted and maybe thinks twice before doing it again. I am very sorry about your friend, that really sucks.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/
http://cavediveflorida.com/Rum_House.htm

Back
Top Bottom