Peacock open?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

that's EXACTLY the attitude I'm talking about.

"I'm a cave diver, I'm better than any other kind of diver" ** chest pound ** *grunt grunt**

Then pop your little ass over to the open water sites where open water divers don't routinely die due to the stupidity and attitude you've displayed on SB to date and maybe you won't see much more of it.

. But, North Florida water politics is North Florida water politics. *dueling banjos*

Ironic,many of us say the same thing about Mexican caves ie line arrow wars,open water guided dives into cavern/cave zones,questionable navigation markers etc. It's all about geography and perspective. *banjos en duelo*

Peacock has now re-opened to Open water divers and cave divers.

Vis is 35 on the Peanut side, some places maybe 40.

30-35 on the Pothole side, some places barely 30.

45-50 From OG to Challenge. Lots of silt on the walls and floor.
Several dead fish & a big dead turtle on the Pothole side.

Water temp 68-69F

Steps are slippery..I fell down getting into the water. Five steps are underwater.

Several shards of light are now coming into the cave from Pothole.

Lots of Duckweed at OG.

Good vis at OG. Lots of silt on the floor.

The worst part of the cave is on the Pothole side up to 700 feet due to river water intrusion from the Nicholson Tunnel-- clears at the back-to-back arrows headed toward Olsen.

You will be able to easily reduce visibility in the cave if not using proper technique due to all the silt on the floor. So many of the places we are used to seeing sandy bottom...we saw covered in that very fine layer of silt we always see after these floods.

Peacock has now re-opened to Open water divers and cave divers.

Good vis at OG. Lots of silt on the floor.

Just a quick question to clarify...

On the website it says...

Wes Skiles Peacock Springs State Park is reopen for cavern and cave diving. The Spring is still closed to open water diving. Please check back to this website or call 386-776-2194 for current conditions.Updated: 04/23/2013

so is orange grove sink open to open water divers????

I believe what Jim meant to say is that Peacock Springs State park is open to diving. Peacock, Peacock II and Peacock III are only open to cavern and cave divers. Orange Grove is open to all certified divers.

To be clear, if you are diving in Peacock Springs State Park, and you are not Cave or Cavern certified, then you can only dive in Orange Grove

so is orange grove sink open to open water divers????

Yes it is

I just talked to the ranger and he says that orange grove sink is closed for open water diving. Sending you a private message...

Bob,

When bad information gets posted on ScubaBoard, it's important for us to correct it. While part of it might be to help him out, we just need to make sure that no one else follows his failed logic here. He has indicated that he is taking a cavern course in about a month elsewhere on ScubaBoard. We can only hope that his instructor helps him understand the dangers. Here's a short but lucid video on this topic. Imagine the OW divers having a limited vis outside the cavern and better vis inside. Yikes!

A Deceptively Easy Way to Die

Great vid. I'm just getting back into diving, and it scared the bejeezis out of me. I definitely want to get certified for caves, but in Utah it's not happening any time soon. Besides, gearing up for that is going to be a bit by bit challenge in and of itself.

We were just in Peacock I today.
Temp is still locked in at about 69 degrees all around.

The vis is getting better week by week.

Thanks!
Jean

We were just in Peacock I today.
Temp is still locked in at about 69 degrees all around.

The vis is getting better week by week.

Thanks!
Jean

Good to know. I was at Ginnie on Sunday the water level went up over a foot in the run in the one week I was gone! This is going to be a long rainy season!!!!! Water was nice though. A little milky on the main line. Sweet Surprise was beautiful though.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/
http://cavediveflorida.com/Rum_House.htm

Back
Top Bottom