Pee valves: "Up and Over" or "Down and Under/Through"?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

To @Nomad-Diver and others who route DOWN through a hole in the crotch of their undergarment: Do you also make a hole in the crotch of your baselayer/underwear? Routing UP has the advantage of allowing the hose to exit the waistband of one's baselayer/underwear--no hole needed in the crotch. However, routing up was uncomfortable for me. I would like to experiment with routing down, but I don't like the idea of making holes in my wool baselayers, fleece pants, and other things I wear either by themselves instead of the jumpsuit undergarment in warmer water or as additional layers in colder water.

Down, with a loop in the hose to help provide flexibility for any movement, and then out.
I stabbed a hole in my undergarment for the hose exit, and then took it to my local tailor (who's used to scuba-related work from me) to stitch around the hole to prevent it tearing further. The "loop" is between the outside of my undergarment and the inside of the drysuit.

For BP/Wings with a crotch-strap and attached front D-ring tow-behind DPV Scooter activity, I prefer up & out of speedo jammers through the undergarment zipper with hose looping & routing back down left to the balanced valve.

Got rid of the quick connect hose assembly and went back to the standard fitting condom catheter hose connection, because the quick connect convenience just as quickly rotated, twisted & kinked the condom connection -or worse inconveniently and inadvertently disconnected- at times during scooter maneuvers.

Last edited:
To @Nomad-Diver and others who route DOWN through a hole in the crotch of their undergarment: Do you also make a hole in the crotch of your baselayer/underwear?

Good question. I don't add any extra thermals etc on my legs, so it's never been an issue for me. I'm now curious to see the feedback from others - I guess holes would also need to be punched there, too

Lurking, haven't dared yet...
But wondering, not to be funny, (or "deviant" ...) just because routing and leakage and flow issue and residual drip and ... details are discussed seriously and aparrently for good reason:
There are battery powered heaters (didn't try that yet either).. no battery powered pee extraction "pumps" yet (no, I am not going to say suction...) to take care of all that?
The" JetPee"?

Last edited:
To @Nomad-Diver and others who route DOWN through a hole in the crotch of their undergarment: Do you also make a hole in the crotch of your baselayer/underwear? Routing UP has the advantage of allowing the hose to exit the waistband of one's baselayer/underwear--no hole needed in the crotch. However, routing up was uncomfortable for me. I would like to experiment with routing down, but I don't like the idea of making holes in my wool baselayers, fleece pants, and other things I wear either by themselves instead of the jumpsuit undergarment in warmer water or as additional layers in colder water.

I usually wear athletic biking shorts or a base layer under my undersuit. Both have a normal underwear flap so it's a non issue. I was going to get some 4th element baselayer pants but they don't have a flap so if I'd have bought them I would have burnt a hole. Whereas the actual undergarment I had a tailor due it since it's thick.

I am one for the down, through and to the left, just seems like a more natural alignment of everything, less likely kink etc.

I wear the Fourth Element Arctic undersuit which requires a button type hole in the pants and my base layer for the tube to come out which works well.

up and over the waist band of my long underwear, weezle (and DUIs) has a reversing zipper on the bottom to open and route through.

Down causes all sorts of heartache with crotch straps and scooters - not to mention the hole in your undergarments and long underwear.

To @Nomad-Diver Do you also make a hole in the crotch of your baselayer/underwear? Routing UP has the advantage of allowing the hose to exit the waistband of one's baselayer/underwear--no hole needed in the crotch. However, routing up was uncomfortable for me.

The hole goes wherever you think works. Its a hole, ie, nothing. It won''t unravel your fancy underpants. I tried routing "up" for years and could almost never pee even after 2 hours. This year I switched to "down" and now I can just pee and pee...with glee. The hole is to the left of, and well below, the crotch where my little buddy is used to hanginig out (for like 60 years).

Last edited:
I'm surprised by all the comments on scooters and crotchstraps. I don't know of anyone who's crotchstrap or scooter caused an issue.

The hole goes wherever you think works. Its a hole, ie, nothing. It won''t unravel your fancy underpants. I tried routing "up" for years and could almost never pee even after 2 hours. This year I switched to "down" and now I can just pee and pee...with glee. The hole is to the left of, and well below, the crotch where my little buddy is used to hanginig out (for like 60 years).

I'm willing to burn a hole with a soldering iron in my relatively inexpensive UnderArmor baselayer, and have someone make a buttonhole in the crotch of my BZ200 undersuit, and give it a try. I imagine the two holes will need to more or less line up with each other. Routing up sure would be simpler, but like you, it hasn't seemed to work for me.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom