Peeing in my wetsuit attracts shark ?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Sensitive are we? You must have missed the smiley at the end of my post that you quoted.

I dive in the red triangle for 95% of my dives and pee on about 70% of them. Never seen a Great White myself *shrugs*. They have seen me... I dove Saturday right where Marco Flagg was attacked underwater, while scuba diving.

There is more evidence on the internet that shows urine attracts sharks than evidence disproving it. I would love (Really I would) to see facts on the matter myself. No one can come up with anything though.

There is no such evidence supporting the ridiculous notion that urine attracts sharks.
Just saying it exists doesn't make it so.
I'm not sensitive, I just don't suffer fools gladly, and your smiley doesn't mask your sarcasm or your arrogance.
Oh...I almost forgot...:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D

This is certainly not the first time someone has thought of urine as an attractant, but I did a quick primary literature search and it seems that science doesn't take the theory serious enough to try it, either. With the shark finning industry, shark diving industry, and scientists all looking for ways to attract sharks, somebody would have thought of it and tried it.

One final note before I go back to reality, urine is a chemical that can be used to track down an organism, but too much will kill a shark. Some species are very sensitive to ammonia and go belly up fairly quickly in an aquarium with any traceable amounts. Aquariums tend to accumulate pollutants such as ammonia faster than the ocean but that said, some sharks are more sensitive than other aquarium fish. So a little bit MIGHT point them at living organisms, but there is certainly a concentration at which urine is lethal.

KInd of like...the smell of a bbq will make you hungry and draw you in close...but if you put yourself with a bbq in a small, closed room, the smoke will kill you?

I pee in my wetsuit a lot because I hydrate my self really well and stay in the water for 3-4 hours free diving. I can't NOT pee in that amount of time.
Nothing brings in sharks like a vibrating fish on the end of a spear. They may be able to sense blood or urine at parts per million but my urine in the ocean is in parts per ka jillion. (a jillion times parts per 100 billion. )

I've urinated in my wetsuit in the immediate vicinity of Tiger Sharks, Bull Sharks and Blacktips and none altered their behaviour toward me or any of the other divers. This is a myth.

All that matters in the presence of sharks is your body language, and keeping yourself calm.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom