Pelagic Pressure Systems Decompression Algorithms?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Thanks for the reply @stuartv

I did not hear back from Aqua Lung, so don't know their side of it. That is really the information I wanted, why they run PZ+

I thought about a potential rights to DSAT issue, but couldn't necessarily make it work out right in my mind. If rights to DSAT did not go with PPS, they may have belonged to AUP/Oceanic/Aeris and could have gone along with the sale of Oceanic to Huish. However, Sherwood and Genesis were allowed to run DSAT on their branded computers from PPS. Some of these models are still offered. "Dual algorithm" is trademarked by AUP/Oceanic/Aeris, though others like Ratio, Shearwater run 2 algorithms, Buhlmann and VPM.

Diving Science and Technology Corp. (DSAT) was a corporate affiliate of PADI and developed the deco algorithm for the PADI Recreational Dive Planner (RDP). This became available around 1987. I don't know how the computer version of this algorithm got to AUP/Oceanic, but Oceanic computers have been running it at least since the early/mid 1990s, perhaps earlier. I could not find any computer manuals prior to that time.

Truthfully, I thought these were probably pretty easy questions for some of the folks on SB. I guess I am not the only one who does not know the answers.

Good question regarding implementing Buhlmann more widely, perhaps the brands would lose their uniqueness? Crest and Atmos have both introduced computers running Buhlmann

I might speculate that Sherwood, et al, bought a perpetual license to use DSAT back before AUP bought it from PADI. Or they could have done a licensing deal and been paying royalties to AUP, but AL didn't want to do that. There's all kinds of ways that cat could have been skinned.

I might speculate that Sherwood, et al, bought a perpetual license to use DSAT back before AUP bought it from PADI. Or they could have done a licensing deal and been paying royalties to AUP, but AL didn't want to do that. There's all kinds of ways that cat could have been skinned.
I agree, I am just very curious as to the real story, somebody here on SB must know what it is.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom