Penetration inside the Empress?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

yep that's how I remember it the cables and pipes especially

some people in the know have called this a harder wreck to do than the doria..(im sure not a touch dive ) I cant speak to that

It has killed more wreck divers than the Doria. I was wondering if all the fatalities have been recovered or are some divers still in there? Happen to know anything Abnfrog?

some people in the know have called this a harder wreck to do than the doria..(im sure not a touch dive ) I cant speak to that

Neither can I. I've never done the Doria.
However these are some facts about the Empress dive site.
The bottom is at 140 feet at low tide. The port rail lies at ~80 feet at low tide. Obviously deeper at high tide. The Empress lies in an Estuary and the conditions are *HIGHLY* variable with regard to visibility, temperature, current strength and direction. The conditions can change during the dive and are often different at different depths. You never know what you are going to get until you arrive at the wreck. It usually is cold (mid 40s F), dark, with 5 to 10 feet of visibility with a 1.5 to 2 knot current in exposed areas.
The wreck lies on its starboard side and much of the superstructure has collapsed and slide down. The wreck was salvaged and extensively looted. Penetration dives can be extremely challenging. It big and about 550 feet long.

All that being said, you need to remember that Quebec based dive shops use this as an Advanced Open Water dive site. They are used to the conditions.

All four dives we did (2001) on the Empress were pretty much braille dives. Conditions pretty much as described by electric_diver. Other than poking around a little in the mid ships opening where the marker chain was secured & forward bow we did not venture in.

Back
Top Bottom