Pensacola in March

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

jgaryclark

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
I’ll be in Pensacola for a few days in mid-March. Never gone diving the wrecks off the coast in the area. What kind of conditions can I expect in Mid-March? I know the Oriskany is a popular site; what other nice wreck dives would you recommend? I'll need to rent equipment so any LDS and general advice is greatly appreciated.
Thanks!

If you charter with High Ty'd or Wet Dream, they both dock adjacent to Scubashack's shop in downtown. Otherwise, Dive Pros on the west side is a popular choice for rental gear.

Offshore Wrecks:
- Oriskany
- Avocet
- Antares
all 3 are 100'+ average depth dives

Midshore Wrecks:
- YTD-14 Navy Dive Tender -- always a great dive
- YTD-15, a special treat that is rarely dove, but only a few 100 yards from the YTD-14
- Pete Tide II
all three 85-90' to the main deck and 100' to the sand. Pete tide tops out the highest around 65' at the wheelhouse roof and is also the largest of the 3 but I like the YTD's more

Inshore Wrecks:
- Russian Freighter / San Pablo - a 'real' wreck sunk towards the end of WWII by the US Navy
- Ocean Wind - small tugboat put down in 2016 but already full of sea life, just a mile or so from the Ocean Wind
- Joe Pati Barge - not bad for a barge, possible goliath, shark, and turtle sightings combined with the usual other fish
Pati is shallow < 60', others are in the 60 - 80' range

There are a number of other small tugboats and barges and a few older wrecks - depending on the weather and your captain, but these are the most common sites. There are also great 'bridge rubble' sites and some 110' natural bottom in the midshore.

I've gone with Capt. Andy Ross of Niuhi Diving 3 times. They are at the West end of P'cola, almost in Perdido Key. Good time. Water temp. in March is about 60, no thermocline. Chances of decent enough weather/waves in March is better than Jan./Feb. I had one visit to Dive Pros LDS on US98 for repairs and they did well by me.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom