Perdix AI Depth Sensor failure?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Colliam7

Tech Instructor
Staff member
Scuba Instructor
Reaction score
# of dives
1000 - 2499
I took my Perdix into the water yesterday, only to realize the screen was blank - it wouldn't turn on.

So, figuring the battery was bad, I changed the battery and, as expected, the unit started up. Problem is, I am now getting a flasing red 'Err' message in the depth window. I turn the unit off, but it turns right back on, it initially shows (correctly) a depth of 0 ft , then the flashing error message appears.

I am presuming this is a depth sensor failure, but would like to be sure. Have never used air / compressed air to dry the unit, have not been on an airplane with it, etc. It had been stored for 4 months in its box, but was working the last time I had it in the water in November. I updated the firmware this AM, hoping that might force some kind of reset, but it did not correct the problem.

Is this likely to be a depth senor issue? Is it resolvable?

While you are waiting for a more experienced opinion, may i suggest pulling the battery and leaving it out for a few minutes, then trying again.
Also, what was the battery level showing? Maybe try a different battery and check for any sign of corrosion in the battery compartment.

My guess is it a depth sensor issue.

I suggest you send e-mail to info@shearwater.com, explain the issue and see what they suggest. They fix stuff pretty fast...

While you are waiting for a more experienced opinion, may i suggest pulling the battery and leaving it out for a few minutes, then trying again.
Good point. And, I did exactly that, several times, without resolution.
Also, what was the battery level showing? Maybe try a different battery and check for any sign of corrosion in the battery compartment.
Battery level, after replacement was showing essentially 100%.

The unit recognized a new, different (akaline vs lithium) battery. It showed full battery charge.

Good point. And, I did exactly that, several times, without resolution.Battery level, after replacement was showing essentially 100%.

The unit recognized a new, different (akaline vs lithium) battery. It showed full battery charge.

Shame, 33 years of troubleshooting complex computer/electronic systems. When things are confusing, try a hard reset before beating your head against the wall for days. Sorry it didn't work here. :(

Best of luck.

I had a similar issue with a Perdix that was about 3-4 years old, at the time the computer was in Germany so Shearwater had me send it to Narkedat90 (the closest Shearwater repair center) and it was fixed and sent back in a couple days no charge for anything except the couple euro to send it in.

One of my friends had a HUD that flooded and same thing, no questions asked they replaced it for free right away. He did not even need to send in the old one they just asked where he wanted it shipped and it show up in the couple days.

Shearwater really does stand behind there products and has some of the best customer service in the industry.

Not really super related but I had a transmitter started acting a little off last week (lost comms, said battery was low even though new). I took the battery out and set in on the dehumidifier overnight all seems ok. Sounds like you're already past that point though.

@Colliam7

Call Richard

upload_2021-3-15_12-58-42.png

The good news - following Frank's suggestion, I sent an email to Shearwater, who replied quickly and put me in touch with Dive-Tronix (the Mortons). After an initial hiccup with that website (which they quickly corrected after I let them know there was a problem, and about which they communicated with me), I generated a RMA, and the unit is on its way to WA. I will follow up with a post regarding the outcome of this endeavor. :)

So far, so good. The Customer Service and responsiveness has been great. Not wild about a depth sensor failure in a 3 yo unit, but, if that's the worst thing that happens to me in March, it has still been a pretty good month so far. :)

Back
Top Bottom