Perdix AI Transmitter with Rented Regulator While Travelling

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

John Trecker

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
Considering upgrading to a Perdix AI. I sometimes dive while traveling and carry my own dive computer but not other equipment.
How does the AI Transmitter work out in a commercial rec dive situation with rental equipment?
Are dive operators generally friendly to adding the Transmitter to Rental Regulators?
For this I am assuming that I would ALWAYS keep the existing equipment in place and only add the Transmitter if there were sufficient ports (possible to ask in advance for compatible equipment also). Also assuming then that the AI aspect is for convenience but there is backup with the existing equipment (noting often rental equipment is awful).
Are there risks to doing this? What are the considerations? Is it just that the AI function won't work or more/other risks?
Any additional tools / equipment to carry to help make easier?
Any other hints, hacks, suggestions, input?
This may be a random or repeat question, but I searched and couldn't find.

What’s the issue? Carry appropriate hex wrench and replace the port plug at the end of the trip. Don’t see what the hassle is.

While the dive company acceptance of your desire to add your transmitter may vary, it's a quick, easy thing to accomplish. And quite frankly, I wouldn't even ask. Rent the gear, pop your transmitter on in your car, and show up at the boat with it. Assuming the crew even noticed, I think in this case it's better to ask forgiveness than permission. A bureaucrat's natural inclination is to say no.
As for tools, very few:
1) a hex key to remove the other HP port plug. Most regs are 5/32", a few are 4.5 or 5mm.
2) a thin 11/16" wrench to screw in your transmitter.
I note thin, because many mfrs like to recess their ports, because it's prettier, I guess. The problem is, you then can't fit a standard 11/16" wrench between your transmitter and the reg body without scratching the chrome.
IMG_20210626_100402.jpg

Instead, purchase a Divers Wrench set from Amazon and attachment becomes easy.
https://www.amazon.com/Highland-XS-Scuba-Wrench-Set/dp/B00AU06HAC
IMG_20210626_100519.jpg

Alternatively, consider adding a short HP hose (requires a spool between the transmitter and the hose - DiveGearExpress.com sells them with spools). That makes it easy to use any wrench, even a cheap small adjustable.
IMG_20210626_100721.jpg

Note the two zip ties at the transmitter end. I tether the transmitter to a nearby hose, so it doesn't get knocked about. It also prevents deck crew from using your transmitter as a handle should they "help you" getting into your gear.

One minor point. Remember that the transmitter or hose attachment is steel, while the reg is brass. It's easy to strip threads if you honk it down. A few pounds of pull a hand's width from the reg is all you need. The seal is made by the o-ring and tighter isn't better.

P.S., you'll LOVE your AI

I just screw the transmitter in snugly by hand. No wrench needed.

Agreed but sometimes easiest to use a wrench to get it off.

This is so very helpful
Can you tell me more about having additional short hose as that seems to make sense. What goes into that.

While the dive company acceptance of your desire to add your transmitter may vary, it's a quick, easy thing to accomplish. And quite frankly, I wouldn't even ask. Rent the gear, pop your transmitter on in your car, and show up at the boat with it. Assuming the crew even noticed, I think in this case it's better to ask forgiveness than permission. A bureaucrat's natural inclination is to say no.
As for tools, very few:
1) a hex key to remove the other HP port plug. Most regs are 5/32", a few are 4.5 or 5mm.
2) a thin 11/16" wrench to screw in your transmitter.
I note thin, because many mfrs like to recess their ports, because it's prettier, I guess. The problem is, you then can't fit a standard 11/16" wrench between your transmitter and the reg body without scratching the chrome.
View attachment 667667
Instead, purchase a Divers Wrench set from Amazon and attachment becomes easy.
https://www.amazon.com/Highland-XS-Scuba-Wrench-Set/dp/B00AU06HAC
View attachment 667668
Alternatively, consider adding a short HP hose (requires a spool between the transmitter and the hose - DiveGearExpress.com sells them with spools). That makes it easy to use any wrench, even a cheap small adjustable.
View attachment 667669
Note the two zip ties at the transmitter end. I tether the transmitter to a nearby hose, so it doesn't get knocked about. It also prevents deck crew from using your transmitter as a handle should they "help you" getting into your gear.

One minor point. Remember that the transmitter or hose attachment is steel, while the reg is brass. It's easy to strip threads if you honk it down. A few pounds of pull a hand's width from the reg is all you need. The seal is made by the o-ring and tighter isn't better.

P.S., you'll LOVE your AI

High Pressure Rubber Hose
Screenshot_20210627-230036_Firefox.jpg
A 6" hose is plenty.
It's pretty straightforward. Screw your transmitter into the hose end (with the spool in between). Add a tiny bit of lube to the tiny orings in each end of the spool.
Wrench the two together lightly.
Unscrew the port plug and substitute in the hose and transmitter (again with a film of lube on the oring).
Tribolube 71 O2 Compatible Lubricant
Screenshot_20210627-230439_Firefox.jpg
A pillow pack (0.2oz) is $8. That'll last you two years of this kind of thing.
Again, wrench the hose only lightly to the reg body.
Add two (black, U/V resistant) zip ties to loosely tether to a nearby reg hose and you're all set. Snip the zip tie and replace the port plug to give the reg set back.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom