Perdix Erroneous Battery Replacement Prompt

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Flatline

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
I just don't log dives
I have already sent my Perdix in for service for this issue, but I was wondering if anyone else has seen this issue. Twice now the computer has prompted me to run through the battery replacement setup when I did not change the battery or open the compartment. I don’t remember the exact circumstances of the first time. But this previous Sunday on my second dive, when I turned it on prior to getting in the water it gave me the replaced battery set up screen. I can’t think of anything that occurred that could’ve caused this.

The battery compartment is free of debris and there’s no moisture or corrosion. The batteries have never been old or depleted. Using Energizer Ultimate AA Lithium.

This would be unpleasant in the middle of a dive at depth. Maybe weak springs causing a loss of contact? Anyway I will post an update when I get it back.

Might it have been banged ? In that case the spring could have been compressed for a moment and that caused a temporary loss of power.
Just my 2 cents.

Maybe it was worried about flatlining and wanted to self test?

That said, I once had a paper shredder that would stop working and then start working again. After looking at the PCB I found a crack, it was just enough that a connection would be lost intermittently. Perhaps something similar.

It happened with my Petrel several times. I sent it in for service. They could not find anything wrong. They gave it a full service and upgraded its casing.

Sent my computer in to Richard at Dive-Tronix. After receiving it, he tried to reproduce the issue and checked it over. He could not reproduce it and nothing appeared to be visibly wrong. He gave me a call and discussed everything in great detail and said he would swap the casing as it would replace the contacts etc. I received my computer back 7 days from the time I sent it in and noticed that it had a new serial etc. I reached out to him and asked about it. He said he had opted to replace the casing and the circuit board to avoid the possibility of any further malfunction.

I was already Shearwater fan boy, but wow!! This is the way to stand behind your product. Big thanks to Shearwater and and Dive-Tronix. I really appreciate Richard's great service and understanding what it means to be on a liveaboard or remote location where an issue can mean sitting out many days of diving. (Yes, I do dive with a backup computer, but its not nearly as nice as the Perdix :D )

My apologies in advance for the fan boy rant, but this is just phenomenal. :)

Back
Top Bottom