PERDIX or PERDIX AI?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I'd say it's a misconception is that if the computer loses the transmitter's signal you need to call the dive immediately. I've had my dc lose contact with my transmitter many times. It always reconnects a couple seconds later. It's innocuous enough that I disabled the associated alarm. I'm using a scuapro Galileo, but I ass-u-me there are no features (like the reconnect) which scubapro has but shearwater lacks.

I later changed to a higher voltage battery which has resolved that intermittent disconnect problem.

No not talking about transmitter range issues. talking about a computer failure. I think all the naysayers know that transmitter not connecting isnt an issue so the only real problem would be a computer failure. which would call the dive even without A.I.
Its almost a moot point now as the industry is in the middle of switching to A.I. anyway. People here can fight it but its just like J valves no bcd diving etc. You can yell and scream and stomp but in 5 years no one will be diving without air integration. Its just way way way safer for new divers. At 700 psi your air integrated computer LITERALLY tells you that you are running out of air.
SPG says nothing to that new diver just lets em run out.

I'd like to see transmitters with metal housings. That would make it a more robust solution for overheads, although a slight form factor change would be needed to eliminate entanglement risks. I'm thinking like a wider but shorter unit. Transmitters are so rediculously simple from an electronics perspective I might be inclined to try building my own at the Tampa Hackerspace this year. If only I had my own lathe :)

A squat metal half dome. That actually makes a lot of sense.

I'd like to see transmitters with metal housings. That would make it a more robust solution for overheads, although a slight form factor change would be needed to eliminate entanglement risks. I'm thinking like a wider but shorter unit. Transmitters are so rediculously simple from an electronics perspective I might be inclined to try building my own at the Tampa Hackerspace this year. If only I had my own lathe :)
When you enclose something in metal, you make a faraday cage.

At 700 psi your air integrated computer LITERALLY tells you that you are running out of air.

Yet, all it takes is paying attention to either.... (yes, even with AI you need to pay attention)

Its just way way way safer for new divers. At 700 psi your air integrated computer LITERALLY tells you that you are running out of air.

First of all i understand what you are saying. But there is a nice quote for this.

Make something idiot-proof, and they will build a better idiot.

People will stop with thinking for them self and slowly we turn in to zombies who can only function with the help of computers and all kind of apps.

Yet, all it takes is paying attention to either.... (yes, even with AI you need to pay attention)

Yes but the simple fact is many many new divers do not pay attention. an SPG gives no warning. An A.I. computer tells you that you are running out of air. Even when not paying attention. Much safer for newbies.

@Tribal lol on the build a better idiot, LOVE it. But you are not correct on people not thinking for themself due to technology doing it for them. so if the computer tells you you stop thinking? So fly by wire jets make dumb pilots :) ABS brakes are for lazy braking people, dive computers period are for zombies, electric self driving cars should be banned.... Some of us may live to see the day that cars fly and also become submarines.

A.I. dive computers WILL save lives, maybe not tons but they will. People are people. They get distracted. NOT me underwater and not most on scubaboard but vacation divers..... oh yea.....

First of all i understand what you are saying. But there is a nice quote for this.

Make something idiot-proof, and they will build a better idiot.

People will stop with thinking for them self and slowly we turn in to zombies who can only function with the help of computers and all kind of apps.
That’s a very Luddite quote that tries to make an exaggerated point while ignoring the complexities of reality.

People who believe that might as well go live in a bunker.

You can yell and scream and stomp but in 5 years no one will be diving without air integration. Its just way way way safer for new divers. At 700 psi your air integrated computer LITERALLY tells you that you are running out of air.

Yup! I'm gonna yell and scream and stomp....

NO WAI...! I hate it! SPGs forever!

That’s a very Luddite quote that tries to make an exaggerated point while ignoring the complexities of reality.

It depends how you read it. Of course progress is great, most new technology’s are great and make our lives easier and safer. I also believe that many people stop thinking about certain things due to those technology’s.
For example: the computer tells me how much time I have left, why bother to make a dive plan.

Pretty sure the group of people that think that way will grow as the AI user group grows.

It depends how you read it. Of course progress is great, most new technology’s are great and make our lives easier and safer. I also believe that many people stop thinking about certain things due to those technology’s.
For example: the computer tells me how much time I have left, why bother to make a dive plan.

Pretty sure the group of people that think that way will grow as the AI user group grows.

for recreational diving whats a dive plan? Hey were gonna go down to 60 feet and follow compass heading 260 till we reach 1500 psi then reverse course on compass till we are back at anchor.

or we will swim out 100 feet from shore then submerge and follow the edge of the kelp out past the point ....etc.

What kind of a dive plan for regular diving would A.I. make you stop doing?

I get the whole tables and charts for your open water test....did that didnt miss a question....but no one does that now for rec diving.

Back
Top Bottom