Perils of Lurking

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

steady1570

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
I've been on Scubaboard for over 6 years now, and most of my time has been spent lurking with a few posts here and there. I've been a pretty frequent visitor, and throughout that period I've got to know many of the more regular correspondents through their online presence, not directly of course, but by "listening in" on threads. You get a feel for who will say what, share some of the jokes and banter, and more often than not get to think about aspects of diving (and life sometimes) that you perhaps hadn't appreciated.

The problem I'm now discovering of course is that when you jump in on a thread no one knows you from Adam! Even though I've been "involved" (I use the word advisedly) in many, many threads, no one else knows that... and so I need to remember to enter more conversations (perhaps in non-sensitive topics too) so that you all get to know me as well as I feel I know you!

I'm sure there are quite a few others out there that are in a similar position - be great to hear from you

Anyway, here's saying hello again, and hope to speak more... and if I pop up in your thread please don't bite (hard) :)

-Mark

I've been on Scubaboard for over 6 years now, and most of my time has been spent lurking with a few posts here and there. I've been a pretty frequent visitor, and throughout that period I've got to know many of the more regular correspondents through their online presence, not directly of course, but by "listening in" on threads. You get a feel for who will say what, share some of the jokes and banter, and more often than not get to think about aspects of diving (and life sometimes) that you perhaps hadn't appreciated.

The problem I'm now discovering of course is that when you jump in on a thread no one knows you from Adam! Even though I've been "involved" (I use the word advisedly) in many, many threads, no one else knows that... and so I need to remember to enter more conversations (perhaps in non-sensitive topics too) so that you all get to know me as well as I feel I know you!

I'm sure there are quite a few others out there that are in a similar position - be great to hear from you

Anyway, here's saying hello again, and hope to speak more... and if I pop up in your thread please don't bite (hard) :)

-Mark

Pervert.

We do know you...you're 'That guy' we always suspected was there. Watching us... Now we just gotta get your profile 'Rebreather Pilot' changed to peeping Tom...

Welcome. We just had to hassle you.

Richard.

@evad , I hope you know Mark personally. Otherwise, you are not funny.

Welcome to posting. I've been in that situation on a number of forums. No big deal, but as you surmised, it will take a while before folks get used to seeing your name. After all, as you (and the rest of us) "get to know" someone by reading their posts, none of us have gotten to know you yet.

You need a better tin foil hat. You know I'm joking right?
I'll find one somewhere :) quite fancy the peeping tom tag line though... how do I get that?

And yes, I know you guys are joking (right?!?!?!) - it's part of what I like about this place!

-Mark

Being a peeping tom makes one a pervert? mmmmm...I need to find a priest.

Back
Top Bottom