Perils of using a backplate and wing

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Rhone Man

Contributor
Scuba Instructor
Divemaster
Reaction score
# of dives
1000 - 2499
Just arrived in Okinawa for a few days off and some diving, and at the airport a very polite customs official decided to search my bag. Having removed all my dive gear and placed it carefully next to my bag, he eyed me suspiciously and said in broken English: "where is your BCD?"

I held up my backplate and wing (disassembled) and said "I use a backplate and wing."

Not quite sure if he had understood me, he called over his supervisor and said something to him in Japanese. Then the supervisor burst back in cross-sounding Japanese and the only words I could make out were "backplate and wing!". Then my officer politely told me I could continue and welcome to Okinawa.

Be interested to see what the other divers have on the boat tomorrow...

Recently several men were caught in Hong Kong trying to smuggle into Japan contraband substance hid inside several BCDs.

Sent from my BlackBerry 9900 using Tapatalk

Recently several men were caught in Hong Kong trying to smuggle into Japan contraband substance hid inside several BCDs.
Interesting. I wonder if this situation - a) smuggling, using a BCD, and b) more targeted airport searches of BCDs - will spread.

I guess if you wanted to, you could put stuff into a wing as well, if that's the reason?

Be interested to see what the other divers have on the boat tomorrow...

If you're diving with reefencounters, good chance to see people with BP/W, though that doesn't have to mean they went through customs in Okinawa. I'm heading to Okinawa in a month with BP/W and won't have to go through customs either, and then of course there are people living there who dive with BP/W.

Either way, hope you enjoy your dives!

I had a diver on boat out to Niihau (Hawaii) point to me and ask the DM "why doesn't he have a BCD?"

DM set her straight.

Still not sure why she didn't just ask me.

I had a diver on boat out to Niihau (Hawaii) point to me and ask the DM "why doesn't he have a BCD?"

DM set her straight.

Still not sure why she didn't just ask me.

That is because your BC was camo and couldn't be seen. I would also assume you were camouflaged and she probably couldn't see you to talk to you either. :wink:

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom