Permanent dive float

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

SSpiffy

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
I just don't log dives
We have had a buoy/float moored above the deep dive site at the Mukilteo, WA T-Dock. A couple of months ago it sank - not a lot of floatation to start with and a massive mussel colony will do that. I decided to make one and installed it today. I used an old McCreary oval track slick I had on hand, so no steel belts to drill through.

Structure.jpg
I constructed an internal load-bearing structure from pressure treated lumber from a planter I was demolishing. That center bolt is a large HDG eyebolt.

The top and bottom plates were made from a fiberglass shower surround that someone had tossed along the road near work.

Firstpour.jpg
First pour of 2#/ft^3 A-B foam.

Halfway.jpg
Halfway filled.

fillingvoids.jpg
Coaxing foam into voids.

Finalpour1.jpg
Final pour.

Topsealed.jpg
Top sealed on. The top and bottom plates are sealed with polysulfone caulk and bolted on.

Sealed.jpg
As are the handles. I got as much caulk as I could into the lay of the rope, but it will likely wick water anyway; no worries, A-B foam is closed cell.

Drying.jpg
I made the sign from some stainless sheet I had lying around the garage. Reduce, Reuse and recycle! :D

Floatfinished1.jpg
Here it is finished, before paint. The tube is a vent to allow air expansion due to temp changes.

Paint1.jpg
Paint2.jpg
Here it is hanging upside down for paint. The white is Flex Seal Brite (As Seen On TV) I figured it would adhere to the rubber well and would be an interesting torture test for it. The red is anti-fouling paint to keep the growth at bay. The web of rope is keeping the handles out of the curing paint.

Installed.jpg
And here it is installed this morning. I reused the existing mooring system; the anchor is at about 130', there's a mid-water float about 80' above that, and the surface float is chained onto a sliding shackle on its line to compensate for the 15' tidal range.

It's been a fun project and hopefully will last a while. We'll see, I just made things up as I went along, using stuff I mostly had on hand. All in all I have about $165 into it, couldn't have bought one similar to it for anywhere near that.

Thank you so much for the effort that went into this! Buoys are astonishingly expensive to buy.

Outstanding job! Are the local authorities okay with permanently flying a dive flag that no one is under most of the time? Did you consider a solar powered light for the float?

Way cool! I think the triangle will make it really visible 360o!!!

Thanks, but it's actually two rectangles interlocked in a cross formation. Might even make is a decent radar reflector. :idk:

Outstanding job! Are the local authorities okay with permanently flying a dive flag that no one is under most of the time? Did you consider a solar powered light for the float?

Thanks, There was one out there with something similar for a long time with no comments that I know of. It's fairly sheltered from boat traffic, so I didn't consider a light.

I enjoyed the project and it gave me reasons to go out in the cold.

SSpiffy, maybe I missed it, but what did you coat the tire treads with in this? It looks like they're covered with rubber of some kind (other than the tread itself) that makes it smooth.

SSpiffy, maybe I missed it, but what did you coat the tire treads with in this? It looks like they're covered with rubber of some kind (other than the tread itself) that makes it smooth.

the tire is an old racing slick -- does not have any tread (even when brand new).

Nice work on the buoy!

the tire is an old racing slick -- does not have any tread (even when brand new).

Nice work on the buoy!
Yep, I missed that completely and it's right there in the first post. Thanks.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom