Pernicious Pop up ad Pests

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Forgot, clearing browser history is how I got rid of it last time.
Did that resolve it this time???

Just tried clearing all browsing data, logged on with Java turned off/blocked no ads. Turned Java back on got ads first thread click. Using chrome on Android device.

Did that resolve it this time???
It went away on its own, probably programmed to stop after five tries, then pop up later. I will clear browser anyway, although I have to re-enter all passwords.

EDIT: It came right back when I logged onto SCUBA BOARD. But if I read SCUBABOARD not logged on, no pop up so far.

Last edited:
I have this problem on my Android devices, not on Windows. Googling the problem suggest it comes from malware that is installed with some apps, which would explain why I don't see in on Windows. On the other hand, I use multiple ad-blockers on Windows (sorry, Pete) so that also could be why I don't see it. I'm going to go to ad-blockers on my Android devices too.

ok, the pop up ads are back in force when I click on threads.
Chairman Pete asked for screen shots so this is what I am seeing:
Pernicious
learned a new word today... it fits...
I still struggle with this on my android phone, now chrome and explorer. Not once yet on any of the PCs or laptops used.
In android, it seems like deleting history and even wiping all cache has no real long term effect. Sometimes these pop ups leave me alone for a couple of days and then they hit again...

Will look into Java too when I next have a chance...

Attachments

• 0F943B66-CCE5-40BA-9C28-6713F297C5B7.png
    0F943B66-CCE5-40BA-9C28-6713F297C5B7.png
    182.9 KB · Views: 84
Ad-block is your friend.With a little effort you can selectively target which ads to block in case you want to see the SB supporters ads.

In the example above this one, blocking the domain verygoodads.com should provide some relief till the spammer registers another one.

There's also Adblock Plus but it by default allows some ads through. I think you can manually restrict them also but I've never needed to.They're free unless you want to support them.

I don't phone browse so don't know how effective it is on those devices. It works on my Android tablet though which should be the same as an Android phone.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom