Perry PC5C Submersible 1968

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

sageGrouse

Registered
Reaction score
Hydro Products of San Diego had recently bought by Dillingham Corp., a large company with a long history in Hawaii. My dad worked for Hydro, and the family came with him on a trip to Hawaii in August 1968. I tagged along when dad drove out to visit Pacific Submersibles. In late 1967, Perry Submarine of Florida delivered their PC5C submersible to Pacific Submersibles Inc. (PSI) on Oahu. PSI named the submersible Nai'a (Hawaiian for dolphin). Hydro had a project for the Nai'a. They made dives off Kaneohe Bay with Chuck Strickland from Hydro Products later that year.
OEC-034ms.jpg

Perry PC5C "Nai'a"
I got a peek inside. I was a bit afraid of breaking something.

Perry made two other submersibles about the same time - "Shelf Diver" and "Deep Diver". Unlike the PC5C, those two submersibles had diver lockouts.

A couple more similar photos of the PC5C.

The Perry-Link "Deep Diver" was the first mini-sub with a diver lock-out compartment

Deep Diver was followed by the Johnson Sea Link submersible. Sadly, Ed Link's 31 year old son and Al Stover died in the aluminum diver lock when the Sea Link became entangled.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom