Personal boat mooring in the keys

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Bladebreaker65

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
100 - 199
Going to tow my own boat down and dive for a week. Question is about mooring. I understand if there are mooring balls use them and I am not going to throw an anchor in the middle of a coral head. However feel free to correct me or add to this. I assume anchor in a Sandy area away from and down current from where you want to dive. Ascend down anchor line and insure a good set. No anchor in preserve sanctuary areas. Last visit down there I saw boats anchor just off the bridges with snorkelers out. OK not OK. Just looking for advise on local rules and courtesies. Diver down flag, float line, safety equip are kind of a given standard but feel free to re enforce them with me.

Wow really expected more just hire a boat or something. Anyway found a lot of useful information on fish and wildlife links. Definition of hard pan is fuzzy

Sorry if this is late. We have over 1000 dives on Looe Key and many in the other areas. I do have to say, we are one of the only ones that has dove Looe Key since Hurricane Irma, and it is absolutely destroyed. The sand fingers are all filled in with rubble, and 100% of the coral is damaged or destroyed. We did not see a single intact coral head. I hope our dive was not what it is all like but I fear it is. it should come back quickly, but the structure is just so damaged.

You seem to have a good handle on it. If you are at a reef with balls, use them, or wait for one. We go very early and there is never anyone there when we arrive. It is legal to anchor, but there is no reason to.

On other reefs look for the sandy spot and anchor there. There is little to see on the bridges, go out to the reef or at least the inshore reefs. We only go out in 10 knots or less, but we are spoiled locals. Below 15 knots is fine, over is not.

Let me know if you have questions, we are happy to help.

Thanks rwerner
we already made the trip and had a blast dove Alligator 3 time 1 night dive on my birthday (cool)
and your advise is right in line with what we found. Thanks for the reply heading back august 2018

Don't take this the wrong way, but most experienced keys boaters, divers and fishermen cringe when they see people seeking this kind of advice on line.

I agree why would you cringe? Is it wrong to ask the advise and locals for area rules and local knowledge. Would you rather everyone show up and chunk anchors anywhere they please? I do not understand the cringe factor.

Don't take this the wrong way, but most experienced keys boaters, divers and fishermen cringe when they see people seeking this kind of advice on line.

It may very well be that there is a way to take this other than "stay out of my area". Could / would you elaborate?

Just a question from curiosity: are the mooring balls on wrecks like the Spiegel Grove and the Duane open to "the public?" Can anyone in a boat tie up there and dive, first come, first serve? Not likely to be doing that myself, from Maine, but I've always wondered... If the moorings are open to the public, that would certainly arouse a protective instinct among some people, I'd bet.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom