Personal boat mooring in the keys

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

First, don't let the natives, semi-natives, transplants or otherwise overly protective people keep you out of the Keys. They are a national treasure: Especially the sanctuary areas.

• Keys Cops just love to stop boat trailers. I'm not kidding.
    • Know the rules in Florida!
    • Make sure your tags and registrations are up to date!
    • Have all the FLORIDA required gear on your boat
    • Don't forget your tie downs!
  • Be sure of your tires, bearings, tie downs, etc. These things are astronomical in the Keys.
  • Be sure about where you launch, especially if/when they close for the evening
  • Know the Florida Flag Laws!!!
    • Boats must fly a minimum 20x24" flag but only when there are snorkelers or divers in the water.
    • Divers and snorkelers must stay within 100 ft of their flag.
    • Boats under power must keep at least 300 ft away (with exceptions).
    • Having a good lookout is a must!
  • Whenever possible use park buoys
    • First come, first serve
    • Don't hog the buoy
      • Be sensitive to dive ops taking a lot of people there to dive!
  • If you must anchor, don't drop on grass or coral!
  • Don't tie off to bridges or navigation buoys.
  • Leave a lookout on the boat!
    • Make sure they know how to use the radio
    • Even better if they can operate it too! Drift dives are the best!
That's all I can think of right now. I'll try to add to this if someone comes up with something worthwhile.

Just go down to the keys on a weekend and watch the cowboys from Miami and other out-of-towners lacking local knowledge operate a vessel. It is cringeworth! Many keys captains make a living having detailed awareness of sensitive areas around reefs, cuts and marinas. Like it or not, local knowledge is looked at as proprietary and not dolled out for free.

Many keys captains make a living having detailed awareness of sensitive areas around reefs, cuts and marinas. Like it or not, local knowledge is looked at as proprietary and not dolled out for free.

I understand and respect this point of view. However basic local knowledge such as chairman shared does not hurt anyone or infringe on your secret spot and how to knowledge. It makes us all safer and protects your resources from damage. basic advise that was given to me by a local charter captain (Sea Monkeys) was see brown run aground. Letting me know areas are shallow where the turtle grass is. Without this friendly BASIC advise I would have probably ended up damaging my prop and worse torn up some grass area. Yes you can be fined for this and it is cringeworth but damage done is damage done that could have been prevented. Keep your secret spots and gotos but share the basic rules.

Just one man's opinion but...
Cause:
Like it or not, local knowledge is looked at as proprietary and not dolled out for free.

Effect:
Just go down to the keys on a weekend and watch the cowboys from Miami and other out-of-towners lacking local knowledge operate a vessel. It is cringeworth! Many keys captains make a living having detailed awareness of sensitive areas around reefs, cuts and marinas.

If the out of towners are deliberately kept in the dark about things like sensitive areas that they might damage, I think that greatly increases the likelihood that they will damage those sensitive areas.

There are a lot of marine maps for the Keys and they list restricted areas. Most sensitive areas that are tide sensitive are marked "no motor areas" like this from the Everglades:

No+motor+zone

For more details, visit Florida Keys National Marine Sanctuary Regulations. It might be a lot of help! If you're looking for specifics about a particular reef, check out the local bait and tackle shops. The guys who are stuck in the shop desperately want to show how much they know. They hear a lot and are usually not afraid to share if you're willing to listen.

If the out of towners are deliberately kept in the dark about things
I think this is blown out of proportion.

First, don't let the natives, semi-natives, transplants or otherwise overly protective people keep you out of the Keys. They are a national treasure: Especially the sanctuary areas.

• Keys Cops just love to stop boat trailers. I'm not kidding.
    • Know the rules in Florida!
    • Make sure your tags and registrations are up to date!
    • Have all the FLORIDA required gear on your boat
    • Don't forget your tie downs!
  • Be sure of your tires, bearings, tie downs, etc. These things are astronomical in the Keys.
  • Be sure about where you launch, especially if/when they close for the evening
  • Know the Florida Flag Laws!!!
    • Boats must fly a minimum 20x24" flag but only when there are snorkelers or divers in the water.
    • Divers and snorkelers must stay within 100 ft of their flag.
    • Boats under power must keep at least 300 ft away (with exceptions).
    • Having a good lookout is a must!
  • Whenever possible use park buoys
    • First come, first serve
    • Don't hog the buoy
      • Be sensitive to dive ops taking a lot of people there to dive!
  • If you must anchor, don't drop on grass or coral!
  • Don't tie off to bridges or navigation buoys.
  • Leave a lookout on the boat!
    • Make sure they know how to use the radio
    • Even better if they can operate it too! Drift dives are the best!
That's all I can think of right now. I'll try to add to this if someone comes up with something worthwhile.

Wow! That's a lot to keep straight! I suppose diving off your own boat has sufficient rewards to offset all this hassle.

Wow! That's a lot to keep straight! I suppose diving off your own boat has sufficient rewards to offset all this hassle.
I owned a boat when I lived in the Keys. I rarely took it out. In fact, it sat in need of a thermostat for at least three years, maybe 4. I hated the hassle of boat ownership and dove with the pros instead. Far more fun for me.

Back
Top Bottom