Personal involvement in a scuba diving related emergency?

Personal invovement in a scuba diving related emergency?

• Lung expansion injury (AGE, CAGE)

Votes: 11 11.8%
  • Decompression sickness (requiring immediate oxygen therapy at a minimum)

Votes: 34 36.6%
  • Medical emergency (cardiac, etc.)

Votes: 17 18.3%
  • Out of gas (includes equipment related)

Votes: 63 67.7%
  • Severe barotrauma (e.g. ruptured eardrum with vertigo)

Votes: 19 20.4%
  • Severe marine envenomation, sting, bite

Votes: 18 19.4%
  • Immersion pulmonary edema

Votes: 3 3.2%
  • Oxygen toxicity seizures

Votes: 3 3.2%
  • Severe, debilitating nitrogen narcosis

Votes: 15 16.1%
  • Other, specify below

Votes: 32 34.4%

• Total voters

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

scubadada

Diver
Staff member
ScubaBoard Supporter
Reaction score
# of dives
1000 - 2499
Have you ever personally been involved, actively or inactively, in a scuba diving related emergency? This could have occurred to you, one of your shore diving group, or someone on your boat. The exact definition and magnitude of the emergency will be left open. With just 10 choices, not all possible emergencies could be listed, carbon monoxide poisoning, severe entanglement, etc. There is a choice for other, with specification in the thread.

Of course, unlimited choices can be made and choices can be changed.

I posted in Basic Scuba Diving to increase visibility, it may not be the right place.

Three OOAs ... all my buddy or someone in our group but not me! All three ended up OK but things got chaotic on two of them and did not go according to plan due to my buddy panicking and losing his cotton-picking mind. The third went like clockwork because the OOA diver stayed calm.

My "other" vote explanation:

I was on a cave exploration team, but not in the water, when two members of our team had difficulty getting out of the very narrow cave they were exploring. One of them didn't make it.

Other consisted of several entanglements, mostly assisting others. Also an old school in water recompression for DCI, since it worked and was never diagnosed by a doctor, I didn't check the box. I assisted with a diver that made an uncontrolled ascent, I never heard what his issue was, I just pitched in and assisted swimming him to shore to the waiting ambulance.

Just so it doesn't sound like I'm a floating train wreck, I've been diving since '62 and there is always a long stretches of uneventful diving between moments of unexpected excitement.

Bob
I may be old, but I'm not dead yet.

So, I had been thinking. I've done a few over 1900 dives since 1997. I've only been involved in 4 scuba related emergencies.

Unfortunately, 2 involved me. I was tying into the Castor in Boynton Beach in screaming current and ruptured my left eardrum. I was immediately near incapacitated by severe vertigo. I was very lucky to have completed the tie in. The vertigo largely resolved over the remainder of the dive and I untied uneventfully. Funny, I generally auto clear under all circumstances, not this time. I sat out for several weeks and apparently healed the rupture. In 2013, I was hit by a boat in Delray, racing in from a fishing tournament in a zero visibility summer squall. I made an emergency descent and was only grazed by one of the props on my left foot. The laceration was closed in a local emergency department and the avulsion fracture healed on its own.

On another dive on the Castor, I was diving solo and had contact with a group of three whom I knew. On surfacing, I was told one of them had gone OOA and had near drowning. He was saved by his buddy and the folks on the boat. I was picked up by another boat in the area. Lastly, I was on a local dive boat when an elderly gentleman (significantly older that myself) collapsed and became unresponsive. He had a pulse and BP and was treated supportively. He was subsequently transferred to a medical care facility by ambulance from the dock.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom