Persuading my wife to take Rescue diver course

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

super7

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
50 - 99
I've been trying to talk my buddy into taking the rescue diver course with me.
She's not all that excited about taking the course, citing her small build (5ft2) and lack of physical fitness, other than me being overweight (6ft, 210lb).
Probably someone told her she's expected to tow me for some distance.

Any ideas other than "lets get educated and be a better diver" kinda line?
Also, I'd like to know how demanding the course is/was for the ladies:confused6:

Thanks for your help!

I asked someone about this (considering I'm a lady) and was given great advice..... You end up being co-dependent on your partner/spouse, wouldn't you want to be able to help your partner if something were to happen? To be able to recognize that there may be an issue that your dive buddy can't recognize? To be a better dive buddy?

I'm 5'3" and my spouse and dive buddy is 6'2" the rescue course is in our future, and seems like a great opportunity to be in better shape for you both, and learn some new things that could save your or your buddy's life :wink:

There's a ton of infomation and skills in the course that has nothing to do with towing people. And for a lot of things technique is as important as strength. (Actually, getting someone out of the water is going to be harder than towing.) But likely it won't be just you she'd be towing, you'd probably each be taking turns with everyone else in the class.)

It's true the course can be physically demanding but a person can only do what they can do. One of the things a smaller person should learn from the class is what they can do. And for some things you will team up, just like you might in real life if the people are available. In real life, a small person that knows what to do, and has a convenient strong person to give direction to, might very well wind up taking the role of managing the scene instead.

All of the above are good comments

I thought "Rescue" sounded intimidating at first, but as others have said in other threads about it, it was great fun, and a great learning experience, and I cant recommend the course enough :D

As the only (single) female in my rescue course (there were 5 guys in it), I can personally say I had a blast. Everyone wanted to be my buddy, especially when it came to the simulated rescue breathing:D. I loved it when one of the other buddy pairs would shout out, "so & so didn't shave today!":rofl3: . The course does teach waaaaaay more than just the rescue portion. The amount of awareness you come away with (if you're paying attention) is astounding. You learn to look at things in a whole new perspective. You learn to notice potential problems before they become real problems & how to avoid them. What Dragon Eye said is a new take on it to me,... but makes a world of sense. Wouldn't anyone really want to help their buddy if he/ she was in trouble?..... OK,.... I'm not talking the really bad buddy:shakehead:, but on average, I would say most anyone who is reasonable, would. But also realize that if she really doesn't want to do it, all the persuasion in the world probably won't help.

Rescue is one of the best courses you can take. It is as much about learning to foresee and avoid problems before they escalate as it is about what to do once a problem develops. It will make both of you better buddies for each other. Even if there are a few physical aspects she might (and that is a maybe) stuggle with, it is not worth overlooking the huge benefits you can get from the class. Also, if there is something physical that she cannot do, better to find it out in class then out on a dive somewhere.

towing your partner out of the water is only a small part of the class. My husband and I thought of it this way - I love him, and I want to be able to save his life (or do everything I can to try) if anything happens. So, the rescue class made sense!

The course is largely about preventing accidents and will benefit her as well as her buddy. A lot of is stuff that you will say,"why wasn't that in OW!" All in all she will come away a safer more comfortable diver and you will be mutually safer for the experience.

The simulation drills are about doing the best with what you have, not hurting yourself. As a small person what is the best she can do to provide for a burly buddy in distress?

The will be some towing but she will just work to make whatever headway she can and she may surprise herself. These are real skills that someday she may need to put into practice. Wouldn't she rather be coached in how to do them and then get to practice them in a non-threatening situation?

It's all good stuff!

Pete

DUDE...you must read this.....

My wife and I are currently taking the Advanced Rescue Diver w/ cpr and O2 provider. She weighs 104 lbs and 5'2". Not a problem. The class is one of those classes that take you past "typical or standard" training and moves you towards the realm of excellence in diving. Break from the pack and leave the sheep in the herd. Time to get good. People will appreciate you being on the boat as a HIGHLY trained diver. Tell her it is worth every effort to take it!

Back
Top Bottom