Persuading my wife to take Rescue diver course

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Just because one doesn't take the Rescue course, doesn't mean you will never run into a situation where you'll need the skills. I had just signed up for the course, viewed the video, and left for a week to dive in Bonaire. While there, a diver ran into a panic situation (low on air) and bolted to the surface. She passed out on the surface and I had to tow her in to shore, remove her gear in the water, and another buddy helped me get her to the truck to transport her to the hospital. You can bet that as soon as I got home I contacted my instructor and said I was ready to take the class!

I DON'T want to be the only person to ever fail rescue.:shakehead:
Has that ever happened?
I don't think it's common to fail any rec diving course, their goal is to get you through (and hopefully work on stuff where it's needed until you do.) That said, I do know of one person who failed Rescue - but they were quite obese, and wound up needing to get rescued themselves during the class.

You'll do fine, I'm sure.

I can corroborate what many others have said. I was 48 when I took it, 5'2" and 110#, and I was concerned about the physical demands of the course. It was demanding, but the point is to figure out how you can do what is necessary, given what you have to work with. My husband was around 200#, and I had to drag him up onto the shore to give CPR. I actually carried the 180# instructor out. Many things weren't as hard as they sounded. You can carry much more than you can lift, and you can use the buoyancy of the water to assist with the lifting. Strength helps, but technique can make up for a lot. Small women can do this, and it is a very worthwhile course.

Gee!
So many replies, and ALL of them are so helpful and encouraging!
I'd like to thank all you ladies, and of course gents out there.

As far as I can summarize, posts from the participants goes
a) the ladies and their partners recommend taking the course
b) the course will be both fun and enlighting
c) physical demand is there, but can be coped with
d) intimidating feel will dissipate
e) with all the above, people who've been through loved the course

Also helpful warnings from the pros should sum up to
a) taking the course should be truly voluntary
b) I shouldn't be taking the course with her

I'll get my wife to read these posts, and let her decide.
All your posts are truly encouraging, but adruso's 14year-old daughter passing
the course might be the one last push we need.

Once again, thank you all!!

My dive buddy (my husband) and I are in the process of taking the rescue course. We've done all the reading and scheduled our pool time. I am not small, but I do have fibromyalgia which limits what I am supposed to lift (nothing over 20 pounds).

I knew it wasn't going to be easy. And I knew to complete the course I might end up in pain. However, I wanted to take the course so I would be at my best for my dive buddy and myself.

I explained my limitations to my instructor and he felt there would be no problems. I am worried about some of the things I must do (towing, lifting a body out of the water), but my desire to be a safe diver overcomes all that worry.

As one husband/wife team to another, take the course and you'll gain so much knowledge. You'll both know you can be there for each other in an emergency... and you might just be there for a fellow diver too.

I hope that made sense!

Hi, I found the rescue coarse to be one of most fulfilling classes. Believe it or not it is surprising how a small person can help a rather large person. She may not be able to pull a large person on to the deck of a boat they usually have someone aboard to help with that portion. She will learn overall how to be a better diver, and may even find herself feeling much more satisfied as a diver just knowing she has the knowledge to help.

I'm no small woman, 5' 10", 170 lbs. I also work out. I know that even though I'm fit I need to do things with finess.

I took my rescue course at 57, and enjoyed all of it. Yes - you can use the water to help pull the victim up the shore enough to administer CPR. Both my instructor and my dive buddy were larger and stronger than me. I did fine and passed. Just like the others, it sure opened my eyes.

Look at it this way......the rescue course is probably the most fun and rewarding of all the courses. She should not be concerned about her physical prowress. She (and you) will learn self rescue and numerous different techniques, the purpose being to give the student a repository to choose from should an emergency arise.

It's definitely a course worth taking, and as has been said above, rarely failed by anyone. That said, when I took Rescue, I was a 38-year old male, 5'9", in great shape, a marathoner, and the course still kicked my butt! I was exhausted after two days of simulated rescues, towing divers, being expected to jump from the dive boat into the water several times for simulated emergencies when we thought we were done for the day, etc. Being a great swimmer sure would have helped me. Anyway, I hope your wife doesn't let any of that deter her.

My wife is 5 foot 2 and weighs in at a hefty 100lbs (sarcasm there from the guy who is 6 foot 2, and 230). She was able to complete the class and was so into it that because of her we are 1 class away from getting our DES as well.

I won't lie and say the class is not challenging, but it's definitely not impossible. A good instructor will work with a student to emphasize their strengths. My suggestion would be to take your wife to talk to the instructor you are thinking of taking the class with and express her concerns. I'm sure the instructor has heard them before and will be able to address them. :)

Good luck and safe diving!

Back
Top Bottom