Petition re: legalization of shark fishing in the Maldives

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

NootFish

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
One of my dive friends just shared this with me, and I thought it sufficiently important to try to boost the signal more...

Apparently the Maldives is trying to boost fishery profits by considering legalization of shark fishing. The dive community needs to make them realize that this is a very bad idea because fewer sharks = much less draw for divers.

http://chng.it/q9tF2cmb89

I dove in Maldives last month (logging 49 dives) and saw not many Sharks where supposedly plenty of in “Deep South”. So I signed the petition to
Uphold SHARK FISHING BAN (Maldives Fisheries)

IS THE MALDIVES TO LEGALISE SHARK FISHING? - DIVE Magazine

“Speaking at the People's Majlis (the Maldivian Parliament) Committee on Economic Affairs, Waheed reportedly said: 'Very few countries implement shark conservation. Since it is a means to generate profit we don’t have to limit ourselves. [We can] open [shark fishing] as a managed fishery for a certain duration and fish without endangering the shark population.'

maldives_shark_legal_zaha_waheed.jpg

Minister of Fisheries, Marine Resources and Agriculture, Zaha Waheed (Photo: Maldives Majlis)”

Maldivian dive operator needs to teach Zaha Waheed to be a diver, so she can see with her own eyes how their sea devoid of Sharks.

Shameful.
I think the diving community should take a stand and threaten to boycot the Maldives as a destination, should this ban be lifted.
The least we can do us join forces with environmental organizations fighting this proposal.

Interesting that the argument is “everyone else is doing it”.

They have come to their senses and have decided to uphold the ban. Good news. Hopefully they will enforce it too.

When I was there last month, they found long-line fishing rig with few dead sharks and some barely alive. So those long-line fishing activities are still there, legally or not. :(

Back
Top Bottom