Petrel reading depth wrong?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

My stepdad has an old Aladdin pro that ran a straight buhlmann from 1992 and it matched my Hollis DG03 (same oceanic parent company) with the hollis conservative factor off it should be the same as your VT4 if on the Z+ algorithm is selected. On another note...

the 2.1 actually runs a
Modified Haldanean / DSAT (Diving Science and Technology) Database, very similar to the navy tables
It's on the liberal side of things and similar to the PADI RDP. The Haldanean method of decompression (as I understand it) is to get the diver to as shallow as a depth possible without bending them and then letting them off gas before moving them up, essentially following a 100/100 curve. Buhlmann took John Haldane's model and refined it a bit.
GC

I took my Petrel out this weekend and noticed that it is reading shallower than my Oceanic Pro Plus 2.1. The Oceanic matches analog gauges, so I don't think it is wrong. When the Oceanic was indicating 120ft, the Petrel was indicating 113. When Oceanic was 108, Petrel was 102.4. I have it set for saltwater. It also said I had a deco obligation when the Oceanic said I had 7 minutes of no deco time left.

Thoughts and solutions?

You state that it is set for saltwater.
Does this only apply to the Petrel or also to the Oceanic (I am not familiar wit the possibilities of the settings for the Oceanic)?

If the Oceanic is set for fresh water, then the different density of salt water would explain why the Petrel, when set to salt water, would show shallower depths.

Back
Top Bottom