Petrel temp

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I don't think this computer was designed to offer real time temperature measurement with NIST traceable accuracy, nor do I think that anyone else offers that level of temperature measurement performance either.

Indeed! If you want that, get a Sensus Ultra or something similar.

Temperature measurements on PDCs are a secondary feature. That's true on ALL dive computers. It's not a necessary element of it's primary function ... time, depth, and real-time decompression calculation. It's important to always keep that in mind.

Indeed! If you want that, get a Sensus Ultra or something similar.

Temperature measurements on PDCs are a secondary feature. That's true on ALL dive computers. It's not a necessary element of it's primary function ... time, depth, and real-time decompression calculation. It's important to always keep that in mind.

Even Sensus Ultra is only accurate to +/- 0.8 degrees C (which is about a 3 degree F range). For true temperature measurements, like one might want for scientific value, a calibrated NIST traceable device would be required. A calibrated mercury thermometer would work nicely, though I'm not sure what it's crush depth would be :D Otherwise, the temperature is a cool widget to have, but not a factor in the performance of a DC.

What problem? My Petrel and Predator always match up, and in any event I don't need my computer to tell me the temperature of the water in which I've immersed my body. If it's warm, cold, or in the middle...I already know.

This is the kind or response I have come to expect from people who spend more time posting on scuba forums than actually diving. Probably reading comprehension isn't high on your list of accomplishments either. I made a simple post saying my computer was 5-6 degrees off of everyone else's computer and was it a known issue. From that simple question I get this moronic statement. Most people, who actually dive and not forum post, want to have a reasonable concept of the temp of the water they are diving in. Maybe you should get out more.

This is the kind or response I have come to expect from people who spend more time posting on scuba forums than actually diving. Probably reading comprehension isn't high on your list of accomplishments either. I made a simple post saying my computer was 5-6 degrees off of everyone else's computer and was it a known issue. From that simple question I get this moronic statement. Most people, who actually dive and not forum post, want to have a reasonable concept of the temp of the water they are diving in. Maybe you should get out more.

Whatever you say, Mike Nelson. But you're partly right: since I posted that on the 15th, I've probably only gotten in 8-10 dives... I do need to get wet more.

To the point, though: if you don't have a reasonable concept of the water temp you're diving in without the computer, you're the one who needs to get out more. Which is why so many other people in this thread have ridiculed your concern.

Whatever you say, Mike Nelson. But you're partly right: since I posted that on the 15th, I've probably only gotten in 8-10 dives... I do need to get wet more.

To the point, though: if you don't have a reasonable concept of the water temp you're diving in without the computer, you're the one who needs to get out more. Which is why so many other people in this thread have ridiculed your concern.

There is a saying in Texas that seems to fit you well. You are "All hat no cattle". As I don't see you having the intelligence to figure this saying out on your own ask someone smarter than you to explain it.

Last edited:
https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom