PFD for muddy river work?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

leam

Contributor
Reaction score
Okay, it looks like we'll be able to get a couple folks into a DR-I class next month. One of the equipment requirements is a PFD. Reasonable requirement but I got me thinking.

I'd like to have a PFD in my trunk so that I can respond with it if necessary. What are the recommendations? What things should be attached, like whistle, etc? Is there a "best" color for muddy river work? We're either in muddy rivers or muddy lakes.

Thanks!

Leam

We use a Mustang PFD for our people on the shore tending lines. For actually doing topside water rescue there are a selection of PFDs for swiftwater rescue. Our mustang Vest are orange with scotchlite reflective strips on them. Our swiftwater vest are red, they both come in several colors if you want something else. We have pealess whistles attached.

Hmm...the Mustang MV5600 looks cool. Not sure if that's what I need or not. But it does look cool!

Mustang Survival MV5600 High Impact SAR Vest with SOLAS Tape

Things that make sense so far:

Pockets, storablility in the trunk, reflective tape.
Whistle, throw bag, carabiners (2)

Our water doesn't get "swift", but we do have rivers that flood with intention. :)

Leam

I come from a warm weather environment (Florida) so a "standard" PFD can contribute to overheating. Because of that, I personally prefer an auto inflatable PFD (in Florida) and all of our team members wear them when working aboard vessels and along the shoreline, with the exception of our department's surf rescue boat crew (for obvious reasons). Contrary to rumors, the auto inflate PFDs will NOT inflate during a rain storm. These PFDs actually have to be submerged underwater in order for them to automatically inflate. The PFDs can be reused and replacement CO2 cartridges are fairly inexpensive. Some of these PFDs (and others) can be viewed at: Flotation Products (PFD) from Dive Rescue International

Auto Inflate, hummmmm, hehehe. Well, let’s see. Our Marine Deputies get Auto Inflators. Our Sonar Team guys got the manual inflator’s. The Dive Team gets PFD’s and Float Coats. Being on both teams I have all three.

So, on our last recovery I was doing the typical overheating dry suit thing. While we waited for the coroner to arrive I decided to sit in the water and cool down. Within seconds it’s KAWOOOOOSH and I’m now wearing a tight bright yellow “C” collar. hehehehehe

The first thing I do is check the pull tab. Nope I didn’t pull it. Then I look at the unit and it says “Sonar 4” and the tag doesn’t say a stinking thing about it being an auto but it is. So I turned that one in and I’ll get a new manual one in a few days. We have a bunch ordered.

These are what we use. Same thing just a different brand and more pockets. Both are 100mph rated.
Stearns, Search & Rescue, (SAR) Life Vests Type III

We don't use this company but they had an easy to find site with a pic.

Do those of you who have an option of where to buy shop local, or are there "best" places for this sort of thing?

I like the extra pockets! Just re-read the chapter on Shore personell in Hendrick's book, so have some more stuff to add. We have rivers here that flood from upstate rain so I want something I can stow in the trunk and grab and go if necessary.

This seems an interesting compromise on hot and cold. We get more hot here but do have periods of frost.

http://www.go2marine.com/product.do?no=201642F

Thanks!

Leam

I'll try and find out in a couple of weeks for you. Our Sgt. who does the purchasing in off camping.

Right now our Heat Index is 103. This past winter I wuz shivering in my non-heated little Kia as I drove to work. So the question is light weight for heat or full for fullness sake? Our "season" seems to be from late-spring flooding to early autum boating, so the lighter vest seems the first choice. The other consideration is the wearer's size, maybe? I'm a hefty fella.

Thanks!

Leam

Like Blades, we use the Mustang collar with auto inflate when submersed. Everyone wears one who is within 10' of the water. They are great for working in and are easily adjustable for summer or winter wear. I've spent full days in pouring rain where it was raining so hard I was considering logging it as bottom time and none of the collar went off. I've only ever seen them go off when someone is actually in the water. They are adjustable too, I just fitted a 325lbs+ guy with one no problem

I'd recommend them without hesitation

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom