Phil J. Patz

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

vondo

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
500 - 999
Suburban diver dies in Lake Michigan - Chicago Breaking News

I don't believe I've ever met this individual, although I'm sure others have. Nothing to add to this except my thoughts for the family.

-----------------------------

PORT WASHINGTON, Wis. -- A diver from suburban Chicago died in deep water in the Wisconsin waters of Lake Michigan, authorities said today.

The Ozaukee County Sheriff's Department said 48-year-old Phil. J. Patz of Stone Park, Ill., was diving in about 300 feet of water on Thursday afternoon when he failed to surface. His body was later recovered, and he was pronounced dead about four hours later.

It happened about nine miles southeast of the Port Washington harbor. Port Washington is about 20 miles north of Milwaukee.

The sheriff's department said no further information on the case of death or any investigative findings will be released before Monday.

--The Associated Press

Phil was a highly experienced diver, fun and quick to laugh. I'm only one of many who benefited from his willingness to help others and who enjoyed his company, there are lots of us rattled this weekend.

Phil was diving on the "Tennie & Laura", a scow schooner that sank in the early 1900's in about 325' of water. Deep, but within his range.

Sometimes diving sucks.

Phil was long known as an accomplished technical diver. I would not be surprised to know that he had dived nearly every wreck of note in the western Great Lakes. He was not one to take part in the "I've done it deeper and better than anyone else" discussions. He would just sit back with a smile on his face, seemingly amused by the contest. Phil was the one with the skill, the experience and the competence. He was the one you wanted on your team. He was a diver. He was a likable fellow. He was a good man. He will be missed.

Last edited:
I did not know this diver, but my sincerest condolences to the family.
I hope I'm not being insensitive by asking what was the cause of this tragedy?

Ya seemed like every wreck mentioned Phil had already dove. He was always up for just about any dive any time. He was a good guy!
RIP

I hope I'm not being insensitive by asking what was the cause of this tragedy?
Phil was highly competent, experienced and cautious so we'd all like to know. Unfortunately, it may turn out that nobody does or ever really will. We might have to be satisfied with understanding that at the depths he was diving the margin for error can be very, very slim. Though it's natural to wonder, I hope that everyone will respect his family and friends enough to withhold their speculations.

Do we know anything more about the equipment and gases used? The newspaper are saying the police are suggesting gear failure.

I just joined here because I searched the net for Phil and found this. Phil and I were great friends from 2nd grade until graduating High school. We lived about 10 houses from each other as kids. We rode dirt bikes together and goofed around the neighborhood all the time. I can still hear his giggly laugh as we played with his pet weinerdog :) He was always the guy to beat in the school science fairs and no one did lol. He especially loved electronics and I remember how proud he was when he bought an Oscilloscope. I had no clue what it was but he loved it. His mom was our 4th grade teacher too. Phil was one of the Good ones!!!

By the way Phil lived just 2 houses away from Dick Butkus. Glenwood Dyer Road, Lynwood, Ill.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom