Philippines - planning a trip for this Feb

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

justwannadivenow3

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
50 - 99
Hi everyone,

Planning to head to the Philippines for about 9 nights. This will be my second trip there was just a backpacking trip - the first time I went diving was actually a discover dive on Apo Island!

Not sure exactly where I should go. I'd like this to be predominately a dive trip. I'd like to return to Apo Island. I was thinking a combo of Dumagette/ Apo Island and possibly a day or two on Moalboal.

Malapasca would be awesome but I just don't think it is doable with the time I have.

Maybe PG? but i do like the idea of hitting multiple spots...

What are your thoughts?

I am doing my first dive trip to the Philippines this April and I decided to spend my 11 days in Puerto Galera. The combination of its nearby dive sites that seem to have a nice diversity of reefs, walls, macro and Verde Island seemed the right combo for my first trip. Didn't want to take up time traveling to various locations- prefer to settle in to one place and find a daily rhythm. Will be staying at El Galleon and diving with the on site dive op Asia Divers. My guess this will be the first of many trips to the Philippines and future ones will give me the chance to hit up other locations/destinations. Certainly lots of options and diversity.

I am doing my first dive trip to the Philippines this April and I decided to spend my 11 days in Puerto Galera. The combination of its nearby dive sites that seem to have a nice diversity of reefs, walls, macro and Verde Island seemed the right combo for my first trip. Didn't want to take up time traveling to various locations- prefer to settle in to one place and find a daily rhythm. Will be staying at El Galleon and diving with the on site dive op Asia Divers. My guess this will be the first of many trips to the Philippines and future ones will give me the chance to hit up other locations/destinations. Certainly lots of options and diversity.

I think that is a smart idea, but I'm not sure the next time I will make the trip to the Philippines because I do like traveling to new destinations. That is why I'm thinking to go to multiple spots.

Hitting a Caribbean island one trip and wanting to do a different one next trip, I get that. But different spots in the Philippines _are_ different destinations, practically speaking. And most are very different from each other. It's a huge place. If you try to hit too many spots in one trip there, you will probably actually see less. And possibly need a vacation after your vacation.

Diving in SE Asia is very interesting because of diversity even in the same country. Indonesia has over 17,000 islands while Philippines has just over 7,100.
There is nothing wrong to explore various countries or different places in the same country.
9 days to cover Apo island, Dumaguete and Moalboal is doable. However, as you prefer new destination then how about Moalboal + Malapascua or Anilao + PG? The macro in Anilao is a lot better than Dumaguete.
By far the best diving in Philippines is Tubattaha but it is liveaboard only from mid Mar to mid June.

Incidentally, 05th is Chinese Lunar New Yr so some places eg. PG can be pretty hectic and reservation is probably too late for some resorts.

We're doing our first trip to the Philippines mid February and we have a little more time, but we're starting in Moalboal, then taking a 6 day safari to Sipalay with Dive Safaris Archives - Cebu Fun Divers.
From there we transfer to Malapascua for 5 more days of diving. In 9 days you could see if there is room on one of the Moalboal-Sipalay or vice versa dive safaris. You'll get to see multiple places, while being on the same boat. It's about half price from the traditional liveaboards as well.

Diving in SE Asia is very interesting because of diversity even in the same country. Indonesia has over 17,000 islands while Philippines has just over 7,100.
There is nothing wrong to explore various countries or different places in the same country.
9 days to cover Apo island, Dumaguete and Moalboal is doable. However, as you prefer new destination then how about Moalboal + Malapascua or Anilao + PG? The macro in Anilao is a lot better than Dumaguete.
By far the best diving in Philippines is Tubattaha but it is liveaboard only from mid Mar to mid June.

Incidentally, 05th is Chinese Lunar New Yr so some places eg. PG can be pretty hectic and reservation is probably too late for some resorts.

I will most likely do Moalboal, Apo and Dumaguete or Anilalo + PG

just not sure which choice is better for me because I've never done much Muck diving

Muck diving is NOT everyone cup of tea and I certainly do not enjoy it at all.
You need to find it out yourself, new experience.

If you are thinking of Anilao then you ought to learn more about the place.

Verde is wonderful! Be careful eating on the street, as I and my Filipino partner spent a day not diving due to some bad food...

Hi everyone,

Planning to head to the Philippines for about 9 nights. This will be my second trip there was just a backpacking trip - the first time I went diving was actually a discover dive on Apo Island!

Not sure exactly where I should go. I'd like this to be predominately a dive trip. I'd like to return to Apo Island. I was thinking a combo of Dumagette/ Apo Island and possibly a day or two on Moalboal.

Malapasca would be awesome but I just don't think it is doable with the time I have.

Maybe PG? but i do like the idea of hitting multiple spots...

What are your thoughts?

Was there last feb 2018 and will be there feb 16 2019 thru mar 7 going to do moalboal , coron, mactan area , siargao island... buddy has a resort there. I can hook you up with friends and possibly free hotel stays if you want to do some dives.

Want to do dumagette but not sure if I can swing it all. P.M. me your plans have friend with relatives to get alot of discounts free stays etc. If you are there same time ill hit you up for some dives moalboal at least I have three nights there away from girlfriend and family to do serious diving without five thousand filipino friends lol. although thats fun too . any questions p.m. me I have tons of connections on Cebu and will be there same time.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom