Philippines safety in Dumaguete?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

divin'dog

Contributor
Scuba Instructor
Divemaster
Reaction score
# of dives
500 - 999
I was thinking about planning a trip to Dumagete... I did my homework and ran into these travel warnings:
Philippines Travel Warning
Philippines travel advice - GOV.UK
Travel Advice and Advisories for Philippines

Excerpt from UK:
"Terrorist groups continue to plan kidnap operations against western nationals in the Philippines. This threat extends throughout the Philippines, both on land and at sea, but is particularly acute in the southern Philippines (Mindanao, southern Palawan and central Visayas, including Siquijor and Dumaguete)." (my bold)

Who would still go to Dumaguete? Who would avoid Dumaguete? Recent experience in the Philippines?

I would go. I don't go to Mindanao but else I travel in Philippines.

I don't know where to go to be 100% safe. was in Paris 2 times last 6 month. I was in Brussels 5 times last 8 month. Same **** here. But everybody make there own choices.

Thanks kkdenmark. No place is 100% safe... But some places are definitely more high risk. With the warnings the way they are, it just seems like a little more risk than I may feel comfortable with.

I know people have traveled to Dumaguete recently and had a great time with no problems. Was trying to get a feel from others who have been recently and what their feeling is concerning the safety despite the warnings.

I hate to rain on any parade, but I'd rather go there as a citizen of Denmark than the USA....I love the phillipines and the wonderful people of that country, but their new leader is as scary as ours is....:( and one must be cautious traveling to certain regions on an US passport.

I have travelled to Davao and Gen Santos in Mindanao without any incidence to report. However, there is certain area on that island that I have been warned not to venture into.
Dumaguete is a small and dead quiet provincial city.

I have travelled to Davao and Gen Santos in Mindanao without any incidence to report. However, there is certain area on that island that I have been warned not to venture into.
Dumaguete is a small and dead quiet provincial city.

Centrals, when was the last time you were in Dumaguete and Mindanao?

2016 does seem to have been a bad year. The US site (quoted by Canada and Australia) mentions a specific November threat by Abu Sayyaf to kidnap foreigners from southern Cebu (Dalaguete, Santander, Sumilon). The smarttraveller (au) advice suggests: "If you choose to visit coastal resorts around southern Palawan, southern Negros, southern Cebu or Siquijor, exercise caution and ensure your hotel has appropriate security measures in place. Avoid isolated coastal locations, especially after dark."
So, Dumaguete town is still not mentioned as posing particular danger, but it sounds as though the resorts south of there should be asked if their assessments have changed and what they are doing. Sorry.
As for Davao (on a tangent), the kidnapping from Samal Island that ended in a Canadian's death and the bombing outside the Davao Marco Polo have made me skittish about even that part of Mindanao.

I was thinking about planning a trip to Dumagete... I did my homework and ran into these travel warnings:
Philippines Travel Warning
Philippines travel advice - GOV.UK
Travel Advice and Advisories for Philippines

Excerpt from UK:
"Terrorist groups continue to plan kidnap operations against western nationals in the Philippines. This threat extends throughout the Philippines, both on land and at sea, but is particularly acute in the southern Philippines (Mindanao, southern Palawan and central Visayas, including Siquijor and Dumaguete)." (my bold)

Who would still go to Dumaguete? Who would avoid Dumaguete? Recent experience in the Philippines?

We spent 8 nights in Dumaguete/Dauin over New Years and had no problem, though we did stay on the resort for the majority of the time because there just wasn't the need to leave (P.S. Mike's Dauin Beach Resort - awesome place, by the way). Initially, we were supposed to fly right into Dumaguete, and we joked about how we were glad we weren't going to be traveling along Southern Cebu, which was included in a travel advisory. Unfortunately, Supertyphoon Nina caused us to have to buy new plane tickets and fly into Cebu City and make the 6 hour drive down to Santander to catch the ferry and we never felt any concern for our safety. I was even forced to make that trip back and forth from Dumaguete to Cebu City for an unexpected trip to the chamber for skin bends and again, no issues.

I think in general, if you try to stay low key and don't flash a lot of money around, you will likely be perfectly fine. Bad things can happen anywhere, so for us, any risk is worth the reward. This was our second time there and we can't wait to go back!

Last edited:
Same as anything else, isn't it? Everything is fine until it's not.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom